Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Newton
It's only been 2 weeks but wow.
Cam looks better than Kirk so far and is making about $1M versus Kirk's 30.
I realize a lot of teams are kicking themselves watching Cam play, not just the Vikings, but that doesn't make me feel any better.
Hindsight is 20/20 on Cam, (and on Lamar, and on Mahomes, and on Dak, and on Russ, and...), but as a general philosophy, I cannot understand why this team is so married to Kirk Cousins.
Think about this:

1. Zimmer wants to run the ball- wouldn't a running QB make sense?2. Our O-Line is bad- wouldn't a running QB make sense?
I'll say it again, it's only been 2 weeks, but some of the decisions around this roster have been total headscratchers recently.

If it wasn't for the NE RB getting bowled over trying to block someone? 

Cam pulls off the come-from-behind, road win in Seattle. That was a good game last night. He looks rejuvenated. We'll see if it can last an entire season or not. 

I dont know if the Vikings have ever beaten Russell Wilson? Don't see that happening in 2 weeks. Thats a good team they got out West.  

They are one of my hope teams for keeping GB out of the SB this year. 

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
I realize a lot of teams are kicking themselves watching Cam play, not just the Vikings, but that doesn't make me feel any better.
Hindsight is 20/20 on Cam, (and on Lamar, and on Mahomes, and on Dak, and on Russ, and...), but as a general philosophy, I cannot understand why this team is so married to Kirk Cousins.
Think about this:

1. Zimmer wants to run the ball- wouldn't a running QB make sense?2. Our O-Line is bad- wouldn't a running QB make sense?
I'll say it again, it's only been 2 weeks, but some of the decisions around this roster have been total headscratchers recently.

Cam: Yes he is a bargain, but IDK if he is setting the league on fire - 1 passing TD, and they are 1-1. He's running for scores, which helps them, but he got beat to hell with all the running in Carolina and now he recovered, but the Pats are just using him the same way. IMO they are just using him up for a season.

Running QB for a bad OL: you're definitely right. But does the FO ever plan on having a bad OL? Sure, they don't draft or trade to fix it, but I think they actually believe, every offseason, that Dennison or Sparano or the newest OC will have a new scheme, or a player who sucked at position A will somehow be great at position B, or players will just spontaneously improve. The only way they could keep ignoring the OL is that they are in DENIAL that it sucks.
Running QB for Zimmer: maybe, but I think he sees QBs like Lamar Jackson as just gimmicks or newfangled, and probably prone to fumbles or other mistakes.

My theory is that Zimmer sees his QB, and the passing game, like a relief pitcher in baseball. He doesn't really want to use it, if he can avoid it, by having his starting pitcher - the RB and running game - put the game away. But he wants to have a QB in the bullpen, and be able to just throw him into the game if needed. That's why we so often keep trying to run until the 3rd quarter and then suddenly go into a hurry-up offense.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
Think about this:

Cam: Yes he is a bargain, but IDK if he is setting the league on fire - 1 passing TD, and they are 1-1. He's running for scores, which helps them, but he got beat to hell with all the running in Carolina and now he recovered, but the Pats are just using him the same way. IMO they are just using him up for a season.

Running QB for a bad OL: you're definitely right. But does the FO ever plan on having a bad OL? Sure, they don't draft or trade to fix it, but I think they actually believe, every offseason, that Dennison or Sparano or the newest OC will have a new scheme, or a player who sucked at position A will somehow be great at position B, or players will just spontaneously improve. The only way they could keep ignoring the OL is that they are in DENIAL that it sucks.
Running QB for Zimmer: maybe, but I think he sees QBs like Lamar Jackson as just gimmicks or newfangled, and probably prone to fumbles or other mistakes.

My theory is that Zimmer sees his QB, and the passing game, like a relief pitcher in baseball. He doesn't really want to use it, if he can avoid it, by having his starting pitcher - the RB and running game - put the game away. But he wants to have a QB in the bullpen, and be able to just throw him into the game if needed. That's why we so often keep trying to run until the 3rd quarter and then suddenly go into a hurry-up offense.
Time will tell on Cam but to me he looks like he has a lot left. A close loss @ SEA is hardly a knock.

But you bring up some good speculation about what Zimmer and the FO might be thinking each offseason. My counterpoint would be- our powers that be need to look around the league. Adapt or go extinct. The guys getting drafted early are usually mobile. Bill Belicheck just jettisoned the greatest QB of all time for one who can move, for petes sake!

A mobile QB isn’t the end all be all, but they give teams soooo much more margin for error on broken plays or due to a bad o-line. 

IMO it’s time the Vikings get with the times. Unfortunately, if this regime is unable or unwilling to do that, then they need to go. 

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
Think about this:

Cam in Purple would not be doing as well as Cam in New England because we don't have the genius running this team we have... I don't even know what to call it any more.  And with Kirk eating more cap space than a world hot dog eating contest champion we aren't going to spend anything on any qb other than maybe a draft pick next year assuming we lose 14 games.