Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dakota Dozier looks to be starting LG
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:

The same Dakota Dozier that DIDN'T start last year. The same Dakota Dozier that has started a whopping 11 games in 6 seasons. Who is on a 1 year, $1 million contract. He's depth, not a starter. Avianti Collins can't beat him out?

Collins has started a whopping 1 game in 3 seasons - worse than Dozier. I liked Aviante Collins when we signed him and I have repeatedly hoped he could emerge - but this is his fourth year, and in 3 years in the NFL he has appeared in only 5 games. I think he's a mirage that we all believed in because of his athleticism, but he gets hurt every year and now I think he's Greg Childs. Maybe there's a reason I guy who ran a 4.81 40 weighing 295 didn't even get drafted.
Quote:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
What the hell ever happened to Samia being mentioned as a favorite to win a starting gig? Looks like he's been running with the 3's from the get go.

Hey, my avatar is a scientist, I hate giving any credit to superstition or luck, but...the Vikings are doing something wrong or suffering from some curse in round 4 in the Zimmer era:
TJ ClemmingsWillie BeaversJaleel JohnsonBen GedeonJalyn HolmesDru Samia
Gedeon is the "star" of that bunch, and a UDFA has passed him in his part-time role.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Kubiak intimated as much today. Sigh. Said they'd have their starting 5 by the weekend. 

The same Dakota Dozier that DIDN'T start last year. The same Dakota Dozier that has started a whopping 11 games in 6 seasons. Who is on a 1 year, $1 million contract. He's depth, not a starter. Avianti Collins can't beat him out?

So someone tell me how the O-line will be better this season??
Good question, looks like rearranged shit to me...!  Confused I’m pretty sure not even Candide would like this line!  Wink

Well, we will find out tomorrow how this will shake out. The staff said they'd take the weekend and move forward with a starting 5 on Monday.

another year of shitty guard play ahead. Hope maybe in year 8 it will get addressed early the draft. That and DT.

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
Im thinking Dozier is a placeholder until Cleveland is ready to step in. Would make our blind side tick up in pass pro. 

Vikings rookie lineman Ezra Cleveland will start his career as a backupVikings rookie Ezra Cleveland was drafted as the presumed heir apparent to veteran left tackle Riley Reiff.
In a perfect world for the Vikings, the next decade would feature Cleveland and right tackle Brian O’Neill as the bookends of the offensive line.
But a few weeks into training camp, Cleveland is getting reps exclusively at left guard, as a backup to Dakota Dozier and Aviante Collins nonetheless.
“I’m open for experimenting right now,” Cleveland said. “I’m trying to take it in stride and do the best I can.”
Luckily for Cleveland, he played left tackle at Boise State, so he’s at least on the same side of the offensive line when moves inside to left guard.
“The footwork and everything is kind of the same, so technically, the position change isn’t really that drastic,” Cleveland said. “You still have to do all the same combinations and stuff. It’s not that big of a deal. Just working to get better.”
That said, it will likely take some time for Cleveland to get used to everything. He said things happen a little faster inside than on the outside, which has forced him to refine his technique in the trenches.
“Your reaction time has to be quicker,” he said. “Your eyes have to be set right when the ball is snapped.”
While it’s still unclear where Cleveland will play eventually, or when he will crack the starting lineup, coach Mike Zimmer has been impressed with his overall development so far.
“He seems to be understanding the scheme,” Zimmer said. “He’s athletic and has some toughness, and I think he’s got some smarts. Those are good qualities to have. He does have to improve his technique."
https://www.twincities.com/2020/08/21/be...as-backup/

Too bad Remmers isn’t available...  Confused  Wink

Udoh and ONeil are the future Viking tackles. 

Cleveland could be a wasted pick if he cant excel at G