• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilfs Want Wolves
Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@Jor-El said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:
I go back and forth on this one.

Imo its not a matter of whether or not they'd be good owners, they most likely would be. Hell, my Labrador would make a more effective owner than Glen Taylor has.  You know we got lucky he didnt get the team back in the day when Olde Red was selling? 

I'm not sure it serves the state well having one ownership group control 50% of the states pro teams.

OTOH I would rather have them vs an out of state douche.
I was weighing the pros and cons last night too. What I would love to see is the WIlfs be the majority group that buys the franchise with KG being a part of that purchase as well. Get a guy in there with a passion for the game and obvious love for the team. That would be a great scenario IMO

Meh to KG involvement. How have Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson fared as NBA executives?? It takes more than passion and love. The people who make a franchise successful are usually guys who had no or minimal playing success who fans might not know well, like former Vikings COO Kevin Warren. Garnett could be a "face" and maybe help sell a few tickets - but I would rather have ownership with qualifications to build a team that will be successful enough to sell tickets without a former player gimmick.
Michael Jordan golfs 36 holes a day and doesnt spend nearly the amount of time most executives do with their teams. Magic is very lazy and made that clear with his exit with the Lakers. We have no idea what type of commitment KG will have, but i'm open to the idea as he connects with other players and perhaps that helps with free agents.
Magic is far from lazy, he's an incredibly successful businessman. He just didn't want to invest the time needed to run the Lakers and that's what he admitted.
Ok, my apologies, he was lazy with the Lakers. I believe multiple reports came out that the reason he left was because he just wanted to "Be Magic" and didnt want to invest the time of running things and trying to turn things around with the franchise. Either way, former players have been quite successful in the front office (ie. Larry Bird, Joe Dumars, Kevin McHale, Pat Riley, etc.).

They won't come any closer to winning an NBA title than they have come trying to win a Super Bowl.  They are vastly overrated by the fans.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@Jor-El said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:

Imo its not a matter of whether or not they'd be good owners, they most likely would be. Hell, my Labrador would make a more effective owner than Glen Taylor has.  You know we got lucky he didnt get the team back in the day when Olde Red was selling? 

I'm not sure it serves the state well having one ownership group control 50% of the states pro teams.

I was weighing the pros and cons last night too. What I would love to see is the WIlfs be the majority group that buys the franchise with KG being a part of that purchase as well. Get a guy in there with a passion for the game and obvious love for the team. That would be a great scenario IMO

Meh to KG involvement. How have Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson fared as NBA executives?? It takes more than passion and love. The people who make a franchise successful are usually guys who had no or minimal playing success who fans might not know well, like former Vikings COO Kevin Warren. Garnett could be a "face" and maybe help sell a few tickets - but I would rather have ownership with qualifications to build a team that will be successful enough to sell tickets without a former player gimmick.
Michael Jordan golfs 36 holes a day and doesnt spend nearly the amount of time most executives do with their teams. Magic is very lazy and made that clear with his exit with the Lakers. We have no idea what type of commitment KG will have, but i'm open to the idea as he connects with other players and perhaps that helps with free agents.
Magic is far from lazy, he's an incredibly successful businessman. He just didn't want to invest the time needed to run the Lakers and that's what he admitted.
I really don't get that notion of him being lazy. He has worked hard to be as successful as he is. Not only has he done well in business, he does a lot for charity. He has made a difference in many communities. He offered up 100 million in loans for minority-owned businesses due to COVID. He bridged a gap for businesses that didn't get help through PPP.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@1VikesFan said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@Jor-El said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:

I really don't get that notion of him being lazy. He has worked hard to be as successful as he is. Not only has he done well in business, he does a lot for charity. He has made a difference in many communities. He offered up 100 million in loans for minority-owned businesses due to COVID. He bridged a gap for businesses that didn't get help through PPP.
I clarified with "he was lazy during his term with the Lakers.

And--- Maybe not

Wilf family isn't actively pursuing purchase of TimberwolvesAn ESPN report linked the Vikings owners and Glen Taylor, but talks halted.
It appears the Wilfs won’t be getting into the basketball business, at least not yet.
After a report from ESPN surfaced Tuesday that said the Wilf family, owners of the Vikings, were serious about acquiring the Wolves from Glen Taylor, sources told the Star Tribune on Wednesday that there are no active talks between Taylor and the Wilfs.
Taylor confirmed Tuesday that he was exploring the sale of the team with the help of merchant bank Raine Group.
Raine Group and Taylor had reached out to gauge the Wilfs’ interest, and the sides had some dialogue, but it hasn’t continued. A source said the Wilfs hope the Wolves remain in Minnesota.
Taylor has been adamant about that as he considers selling the franchise he agreed to take over in 1994. A potential Wilf purchase would seemingly secure the Wolves’ place in Minnesota, but Taylor said previously any potential buyer would have to agree to keep the team here or he wouldn’t sell to that group.
Taylor indicated there was an out-of-state family further along in the process of acquiring the team than others, and Wednesday’s development suggests the Wilfs, who hail from New Jersey, aren’t that family.
Taylor also said the Lynx would likely be sold with the Wolves in any deal.
https://www.startribune.com/wilf-family-...571868811/

I read that they were approached & weren’t interested...