Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilfs Want Wolves
Wilfs contenders to buy the Timberwolves. Saw some bitching about this on Twitter. Are you kidding me? Vikings have never had better ownership. 

https://thevikingage.com/2020/07/22/minnesota-vikings-buy-timberwolves-wilf/

I go back and forth on this one.

Imo its not a matter of whether or not they'd be good owners, they most likely would be. Hell, my Labrador would make a more effective owner than Glen Taylor has.  You know we got lucky he didnt get the team back in the day when Olde Red was selling? 

I'm not sure it serves the state well having one ownership group control 50% of the states pro teams.

OTOH I would rather have them vs an out of state douche.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Imo its not a matter of whether or not they'd be good owners, they most likely would be. Hell, my Labrador would make a more effective owner than Glen Taylor has.  You know we got lucky he didnt get the team back in the day when Olde Red was selling? 

I'm not sure it serves the state well having one ownership group control 50% of the states pro teams.

Ummm...aren't the Wilfs German immigrants (tho I believe Mark was born in the US) who have done business primarily in New Jersey and have homes in NJ and Florida?
Memory fades quickly, doesn't it? 8 years ago the Wilfs were threatening to move the Vikings to Los Angeles unless a new stadium was built. Yes, it was a relatively good deal for the state with the Wilfs contributing more than many NFL owners have, but those were pretty contentious times. The Wilfs have invested well in the team and area since the stadium was built, but let's not paint them as hometown angels.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I was weighing the pros and cons last night too. What I would love to see is the WIlfs be the majority group that buys the franchise with KG being a part of that purchase as well. Get a guy in there with a passion for the game and obvious love for the team. That would be a great scenario IMO

the devil you know . .

The Wilfs have built a successful franchise, stadium, training facility, sports culture in the heart of the twin cities and people are still
skeptical of them buying one of the worst run franchises in the NBA?  Because of what?  consolidation of sports franchise ownership?

seriously?

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:

I was weighing the pros and cons last night too. What I would love to see is the WIlfs be the majority group that buys the franchise with KG being a part of that purchase as well. Get a guy in there with a passion for the game and obvious love for the team. That would be a great scenario IMO

Meh to KG involvement. How have Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson fared as NBA executives?? It takes more than passion and love. The people who make a franchise successful are usually guys who had no or minimal playing success who fans might not know well, like former Vikings COO Kevin Warren. Garnett could be a "face" and maybe help sell a few tickets - but I would rather have ownership with qualifications to build a team that will be successful enough to sell tickets without a former player gimmick.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:

Meh to KG involvement. How have Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson fared as NBA executives?? It takes more than passion and love. The people who make a franchise successful are usually guys who had no or minimal playing success who fans might not know well, like former Vikings COO Kevin Warren. Garnett could be a "face" and maybe help sell a few tickets - but I would rather have ownership with qualifications to build a team that will be successful enough to sell tickets without a former player gimmick.
Michael Jordan golfs 36 holes a day and doesnt spend nearly the amount of time most executives do with their teams. Magic is very lazy and made that clear with his exit with the Lakers. We have no idea what type of commitment KG will have, but i'm open to the idea as he connects with other players and perhaps that helps with free agents.

I think having KG involved would be good for Karl-Anthony Towns. And the publicity that comes from a sale that involves a beloved player for the team wouldn't hurt. There is already excitement from fans about the possibility.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@Jor-El said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:

Michael Jordan golfs 36 holes a day and doesnt spend nearly the amount of time most executives do with their teams. Magic is very lazy and made that clear with his exit with the Lakers. We have no idea what type of commitment KG will have, but i'm open to the idea as he connects with other players and perhaps that helps with free agents.
Magic is far from lazy, he's an incredibly successful businessman. He just didn't want to invest the time needed to run the Lakers and that's what he admitted.

Quote: @Skodin said:
the devil you know . .

The Wilfs have built a successful franchise, stadium, training facility, sports culture in the heart of the twin cities and people are still
skeptical of them buying one of the worst run franchises in the NBA?  Because of what?  consolidation of sports franchise ownership?

seriously?
I don't get this either. I think Minnesotans are stubborn about people that aren't from Minnesota and are very provincial. It's silly. All the Wilfs have done is everything they promised they would do.