Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running game not priority?
@purplefaithful

Yes, I should've been more clear. I absolutely believe running the ball effectively is critical to success. I'm even fine with a run-first approach. I'm just not sure that paying ONE guy to do it, is the right approach. Even if that guy is one of our favorite players.

For the Vikings, the offensive scheme is adequate. The play calling and blocking personnel need improvement, and the defense needs a bit of an overhaul. Zimmer's defense won't work unless the corners have the ability to cover one on one.
It's crucial to get improved run stopping ability to get more third and long situations on defense. Can't do that without the combination of a stout defensive line and good coverage. Seems like using the tackles to eat up blockers, allowing the linebackers to make tackles in the gaps, results in a lot of 4 to 6 yard gains on first down,or more, and rarely results in tackles behind the line of scrimmage.
And the cornerback's lack of ability in man coverage has produced a zone coverage that reminds me of the Denny Green defenses. Too passive.
The Vikings aren't that far away from becoming competitive providing they can make some good choices in player acquisition in both free agency and the draft.
Some veterans will have to leave or restructure to upgrade talent. Let's hope the front office can bring in talented players and not just cheap place holders!

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
For the Vikings, the offensive scheme is adequate. The play calling and blocking personnel need improvement, and the defense needs a bit of an overhaul. Zimmer's defense won't work unless the corners have the ability to cover one on one.
It's crucial to get improved run stopping ability to get more third and long situations on defense. Can't do that without the combination of a stout defensive line and good coverage. Seems like using the tackles to eat up blockers, allowing the linebackers to make tackles in the gaps, results in a lot of 4 to 6 yard gains on first down,or more, and rarely results in tackles behind the line of scrimmage.
And the cornerback's lack of ability in man coverage has produced a zone coverage that reminds me of the Denny Green defenses. Too passive.
The Vikings aren't that far away from becoming competitive providing they can make some good choices in player acquisition in both free agency and the draft.
Some veterans will have to leave or restructure to upgrade talent. Let's hope the front office can bring in talented players and not just cheap place holders!
Good points: the difference (offensively) isn't JUST a better OL... it's also better play-calling.