Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teddy Not A Fan Of Tolling?
Teddy isnt ready for contact. I think we can all agree on that. 

Does a player on the PUP recieve any of their base salary?

Is he looking at 6 weeks without a paycheck? ... how does his 2017 contract look as far as guarenteed money? 

Sportac says he has a $1.35 million base and $825k signing ($ 2.1 against the cap). Does he lose base salary as it is not guarenteed?

I dont think he would get a huge free agency offer coming off the injury, but he might be able to make more guatenteed signing money in a long term deal. 

Maybe the Vikes have already pitched some offers that get him some more guarenteed money over a few years without breaking the bank?

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:
Does a player on the PUP recieve any of their base salary?
They are paid just like they are playing arent they?

I dunno. Maybe? ... we hear about contracts not being guarenteed to injury all the time, I wasnt sure with the PUP.

I was also thinking about the gamble of Teddy getting reinjured in the short term vs a cool $2.1 million to, worst case, sit behind Bradford and "rehab" as an active back up. If he plays in 2017 or 2018, and stays healthy, hes on a contract year...

The Free Agency discussion... what is he actually worth at the end of 2017? ... "worst case" for Teddy seems to be if Bradford needs to be replaced; Teddy comes in and vastly outplays that $2.1 million contract. Without playing, how is he going to get more in FA than what he'll be scheduled to make?

The PUP seems like a two way street, in that regard. Not only does it protect the team, Teddy gets paid to come back from the injury. Expecially if he does get that base salary paid.

... maybe Teddy was just trolling the tweet about his injury benifitting the team and getting other guys paid.

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:
I dunno. Maybe? ... we hear about contracts not being guarenteed to injury all the time, I wasnt sure with the PUP.

I was also thinking about the gamble of Teddy getting reinjured in the short term vs a cool $2.1 million to, worst case, sit behind Bradford and "rehab" as an active back up. If he plays in 2017 or 2018, and stays healthy, hes on a contract year...

The Free Agency discussion... what is he actually worth at the end of 2017? ... "worst case" for Teddy seems to be if Bradford needs to be replaced; Teddy comes in and vastly outplays that $2.1 million contract. Without playing, how is he going to get more in FA than what he'll be scheduled to make?

The PUP seems like a two way street, in that regard. Not only does it protect the team, Teddy gets paid to come back from the injury. Expecially if he does get that base salary paid.

... maybe Teddy was just trolling the tweet about his injury benifitting the team and getting other guys paid.
I have a feeling if Teddy wasnt on board with the upcoming PUP designation that we would be hearing more from his agent and the players union to try and force the team to back down on their intentions.

He was in a full brace from just above his ankle to up above his thigh during his rehab work on Field 3. Now that's probably due to a lot of precaution but it tells you where he's at to a point. He might be ready sometime after week 6 but he isn't ready before then and even if he is ready week 6 there's no guarantee that we would want to put him on the field at that point. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"medaille" said:
The Vikings should offer him a one year extension that’s
less than his option was, but is more than the crappy rookie salary he’ll be
locked into, like maybe $7-8M.
Why? If we have him under contract via tolling for 2018 at the "crappy" ($1-$2M I think) salary, pay that. If he can NEVER play again - and that's still really possible, regardless of how much faith he has in himself - we would have wasted money. If he is physically able to play in 2018, a cheaper contract will just improve his trade value.
I'm not saying we would do that now but in midseason once we know more.  Come midseason, we should expect to see a shit-storm of a QB controversy, because Teddy is going to be ready to play at some point and he has to protect his interests because he's going to lose $10-20M in 2018 if we toll him, and has a decent chance at missing 2018 because he's sitting on the bench watching Bradford.  We're going to see the NFLPA pumping this.  $7-8M is a small amount that makes that controversy go away, prevents any bad blood from being had, and allows a trade to happen easily if it works for both parties.