Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jon Gruden is a dumb shit
IF you are a team that is habitually focused on building (or rebuilding) your team via Free Agency instead of the Draft you can't afford to make Mack the highest paid Defensive Player in the history of the League AND still have the cap room to buy the rest of your Roster.

I'm not saying that's the right approach. But it was certainly the way Al Davis operated and his son has shown the same propensity to go after 'splash' signings and over drafting freak athletes.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Gruden was ordered to move Mack.

He traded away a top 2 defender in the league, a good WR (Cooper), but then didn't go all the way with it. What I mean is this:
I'm against tanking in most cases, but for the Raiders this was a PERFECT year to tank. Like, PERFECT.
They had 3 first round picks in 2019 plus some extra other picks. They should have done everything they could to kick all those picks down the curb one year and have a monster 2020 draft.

Gruden is on a 10 year deal so he's safe. They move into a new stadium in a new town next year so a fresh start would've been perfect. And the Chiefs are predictably awesome. Oakland's chances of winning the division or getting a wildcard in 2019, even after adding 3 first round picks, is like 10%.
Currently they have 2 firsts, 1 second, and 2 thirds for 2020. IMO they could have (and should have) added 2 more picks per each of those rounds pretty easily.
The fans in Oakland would've had a cow but it's a new era starting next year for that franchise anyways. They should've done this.
NOTE- I've read rumblings on PFT that the Dolphins might try a 2 year long tank for Trevor Lawrence. I don't believe that will happen but I'm just saying that to illustrate this scenario isn't too far-fetched.

The Raiders were financially strapped and couldn't afford the big contracts. Though they did find a way to overpay Gruden !

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
Yeah, totally stupid trade, and it's insane how Mack seems like the perfect fit for the Bears too.  He seems way more destructive with that Bear defense.
OTH, the Bears aren't always brilliant.  They did draft Trubinski #2 overall.  Not so smart when you look at passing up on Mahomes and Watson.  I'd much rather see the Vikes face Trubinski twice a season than either of those two. 
Mahomes on the Bears?

I probably would've just handed-in my fan card after 5 decades.

Nah, they could have found a way to screw him up.  You think our team has struggled for a franchise QB...

Vikings since 2001 @Chicago: 3-15.  Um, so there's a chance?

Quote: @"RS Express" said:
Vikings since 2001 @Chicago: 3-15.  Um, so there's a chance?
[Image: 7fromk5ez7u7.jpeg]

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
As a coach yes but he got himself an amazing contract. Just sayin.
I think he had a better gig on TV 6.5 without the headache.
Just sayin

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
As a coach yes but he got himself an amazing contract. Just sayin.
I think he had a better gig on TV 6.5 without the headache.
Just sayin
It was an easier gig no doubt but he made his choice.

The dude loves coaching football...have to respect a guy that knows what he loves and gets paid to do it.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
The dude loves coaching football...have to respect a guy that knows what he loves and gets paid to do it.
and it gets him out of the booth.  Win win.