Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer mum re: Cook playing on new USB Turf tonight...
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
The new turf looks great, it really does. Glad to hear its new technology also. The Saints change their turf EVERY year, found that interesting. I bet US Bank will start changing it every 2 years. 
with all the injury concerns that come with new turf... is that really the best direction?
It gets changed out because its wore out from all the concerts, monster truck shows, motocross, etc. that happen on an annual basis. The turf keeps making incremental technological advances. They aren't changing it just to change it out. 
I'm sure there are some risks, but for them to throw a ton of $$ at new turf, there were some solid rationale for doing so.

Including wear/tear and new tech available. 

I view it as a positive. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
The new turf looks great, it really does. Glad to hear its new technology also. The Saints change their turf EVERY year, found that interesting. I bet US Bank will start changing it every 2 years. 
with all the injury concerns that come with new turf... is that really the best direction?
It gets changed out because its wore out from all the concerts, monster truck shows, motocross, etc. that happen on an annual basis. The turf keeps making incremental technological advances. They aren't changing it just to change it out. 
I'm sure there are some risks, but for them to throw a ton of $$ at new turf, there were some solid rationale for doing so.

Including wear/tear and new tech available. 

I view it as a positive. 
Yeah, for sure its a positive. Agreed.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I can see after 4 years,  but to cut that in half or even go annually like in nawlins seems excessive considering the hand wringing associated with new turf.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I think the injury concerns come from it being new and different...something players have to get used to, but ultimately a surface that is meant to reduce injuries. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I think the injury concerns come from it being new and different...something players have to get used to, but ultimately a surface that is meant to reduce injuries. 
coming from Theilens comments on the new turf in NO I was thinking that the new turf was slicker,  IIRC back when they started playing in USB there was a lot of talk about having to play the sheen off of it to get the footing consistent.  I remember wondering at that time if there was a way to work the turf mechanically to get the rubber fill to settle down and condition it to the point of working the sheen off if that is leading to the slick or inconsistent footing.

ImI just glad we finally have owners who are willing to spend the money

Quote: @Hidalgo said:
ImI just glad we finally have owners who are willing to spend the money
this is more likely the stadium commission funding this change out.  I would doubt that the Vikings would be on the hook for the carpet when it has reached its life expectancy.