Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer mum re: Cook playing on new USB Turf tonight...
If the Vikings evaluate running back Dalvin Cook in a manner similar to the first preseason game, he might not play in the second one.
Cook sat out a 34-25 win over New Orleans at the Superdome last Friday. Asked about it after the game, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said, “We didn’t want to put him on the turf.’’
That was the first game at the Superdome after a new artificial surface was installed.
The turf recently was replaced at U.S. Bank Stadium, and the first game on it will be Sunday when the Vikings play host to Seattle.
Zimmer said Thursday he has made a decision on whether Cook will play but would not reveal it. He was asked if again playing on new turf factors into whether Cook plays.
“I already made my decision, so I’m good,’’ Zimmer said.
Cook missed the final 12 games in his rookie season of 2017 because of a torn ACL and sat out five games last year with hamstring issues. He declined an interview request earlier this week.
The new turf at U.S. Bank Stadium is Act Global Speed Series S5. The Superdome, which changes its turf each year, had used Act Global previously before going this year to a Turf Nation variety.
Vikings tight end Irv Smith Jr. said it wasn’t a big deal playing on new turf in the first preseason game after getting used to it.
“During warmups, you kind of just get the feel around it and you kind of want to be prepared going into the game,’’ he said.
Smith and Vikings wide receiver Adam Thielen both said the new turf in New Orleans wasn’t slick. Thielen doesn’t believe it will affect him at all playing on new turf at U.S. Bank Stadium.
Michael Vekich, chair of the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority, said the Act Global turf at U.S. Bank Stadium cost $637,000 to replace after three seasons and has a four-year warranty. Vekich said that turf also is used at MetLife Stadium, home of the New York Giants and Jets. According to Act Global’s website, a dozen NFL teams use it at practice and training facilities.
“We have a lot of events (at U.S. Bank Stadium),’’ Vekich said. “We have fairly heavy events that come in like the X Games and car shows, and (the turf) was showing its wear.’’
Vekich called the new turf a “very good surface” and “newer technology.”
“It includes some safety features that we didn’t have,’’ Vekich said.
One is a shock pad installed underneath the turf that is about three-quarters of an inch thick. It is expected to provide additional protection by absorbing impact when helmets hit the turf.
https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/15/wi...nt-saying/

Sounds like a lot of Mattison, and I'm good with that...

I am looking forward to seeing more Mattison. It's fine to save Cook or limit him.

Cook starting, Abdullah inactive...

I figured he'd play a series or 2, that's it...

That sounds about right...

Surprised they didn't play him last night...Maybe he'll get some snaps PS #3. I dont recall them playing key starters any more at all for that last scrimmage of the PS.

The new turf looks great, it really does. Glad to hear its new technology also. The Saints change their turf EVERY year, found that interesting. I bet US Bank will start changing it every 2 years. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The new turf looks great, it really does. Glad to hear its new technology also. The Saints change their turf EVERY year, found that interesting. I bet US Bank will start changing it every 2 years. 
with all the injury concerns that come with new turf... is that really the best direction?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
with all the injury concerns that come with new turf... is that really the best direction?
It gets changed out because its wore out from all the concerts, monster truck shows, motocross, etc. that happen on an annual basis. The turf keeps making incremental technological advances. They aren't changing it just to change it out.