Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings rookie center Garrett Bradbury: learn now, lead later
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
An improvement along the interior will payoff big time...even reaching a level above mediocre will payoff...
A level above mediocre would be outstanding. I'm not expecting more than that, but will point out that the Colts, adding an OL coach and a couple of key rookies, went from giving up the most sacks in the NFL in 2017 to the least in 2018.

What's interesting, and encouraging to me, is that the Colts line build is similar to the Vikings. The addition of a couple of good players (Nelson, Smith) boosted the performance of league average players like LT Castonzo and RG Glowinski. That's my hope for Reiff and Kline. 
IMO, you're missing the biggest change in the Colts offense from 2017 to 2018: Brissett to Luck.  That is the difference between the most sacks and the least, a QB that doesn't really know how to play to a very good veteran often discussed as one of the best.

Quote: @silverjoel said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
An improvement along the interior will payoff big time...even reaching a level above mediocre will payoff...
A level above mediocre would be outstanding. I'm not expecting more than that, but will point out that the Colts, adding an OL coach and a couple of key rookies, went from giving up the most sacks in the NFL in 2017 to the least in 2018.

What's interesting, and encouraging to me, is that the Colts line build is similar to the Vikings. The addition of a couple of good players (Nelson, Smith) boosted the performance of league average players like LT Castonzo and RG Glowinski. That's my hope for Reiff and Kline. 
IMO, you're missing the biggest change in the Colts offense from 2017 to 2018: Brissett to Luck.  That is the difference between the most sacks and the least, a QB that doesn't really know how to play to a very good veteran often discussed as one of the best.
Great insight. Its a factor without a doubt. 

Quote: @silverjoel said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Sure, Luck returning was a factor, but not as much of a factor as drafting Nelson and Smith. Nelson was 1st team All Pro as a rookie and Smith was all-rookie. That's what took them from last to first in sacks given up. You could argue that Luck is the reason they performed so well, but the last year Luck was healthy, he was sacked 41 times. That's more than the Vikings gave up in 2018. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@silverjoel said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Sure, Luck returning was a factor, but not as much of a factor as drafting Nelson and Smith. Nelson was 1st team All Pro as a rookie and Smith was all-rookie. That's what took them from last to first in sacks given up. You could argue that Luck is the reason they performed so well, but the last year Luck was healthy, he was sacked 41 times. That's more than the Vikings gave up in 2018. 
Time to throw (how long a QB holds on to the ball):

2018 - Luck - 2.63s (9th fastest)
2017 - Brissett - 2.89s (36th)
2016 - Luck - 2.88s (35th)

Luck got rid of the ball last year.  It made a huge difference.  I would love to go back farther, but there's only 3 years of that data.  Also, it was widely speculated that something was off with Luck in 2016 (missed all of 2017) and that was his worse year sack wise.