Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings rookie center Garrett Bradbury: learn now, lead later
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer was talking about Garrett Bradbury after practice Wednesday when he looked up and saw his rookie center was still on the field.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/04/vi...ore-vocal/

An improvement along the interior will payoff big time...even reaching a level above mediocre will payoff...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
An improvement along the interior will payoff big time...even reaching a level above mediocre will payoff...
That's the hope and the plan. Cautiously optimistic. Need to stay healthy. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
A level above mediocre would be outstanding. I'm not expecting more than that, but will point out that the Colts, adding an OL coach and a couple of key rookies, went from giving up the most sacks in the NFL in 2017 to the least in 2018.

What's interesting, and encouraging to me, is that the Colts line build is similar to the Vikings. The addition of a couple of good players (Nelson, Smith) boosted the performance of league average players like LT Castonzo and RG Glowinski. That's my hope for Reiff and Kline. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
A level above mediocre would be outstanding. I'm not expecting more than that, but will point out that the Colts, adding an OL coach and a couple of key rookies, went from giving up the most sacks in the NFL in 2017 to the least in 2018.

What's interesting, and encouraging to me, is that the Colts line build is similar to the Vikings. The addition of a couple of good players (Nelson, Smith) boosted the performance of league average players like LT Castonzo and RG Glowinski. That's my hope for Reiff and Kline. 

This is the difference between "Studs" and "Scrubs"...

@"BarrNone55" said:

And Kline is a much, much more seasoned player and known commodity vs. Glowinski, who has started 28 games compared to Josh's 64.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

And Kline is a much, much more seasoned player and known commodity vs. Glowinski, who has started 28 games compared to Josh's 64.
Lotsa "IFS" but IF O'Neill continues to improve at the rate he did as a rookie, and IF Bradbury is everything we think he is, then Kline could see his best year as a pro. And then IF Elflein benefits from a return to guard (and full strength), then Reiff could as well. Now throw in the fact that all are coached by zone whisperer Dennison in a Kubiak blocking scheme that has typically achieved good results from league average players....and it's hard not to be optimistic about this offense. 

Course....another mole to whack will pop up somewhere. 

@FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Lotsa "IFS" but IF O'Neill continues to improve at the rate he did as a rookie, and IF Bradbury is everything we think he is, then Kline could see his best year as a pro. And then IF Elflein benefits from a return to guard (and full strength), then Reiff could as well. Now throw in the fact that all are coached by zone whisperer Dennison in a Kubiak blocking scheme that has typically achieved good results from league average players....and it's hard not to be optimistic about this offense. 

if we pick a scheme and stick with it----oooh this is fun

Quote: @Akvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

if we pick a scheme and stick with it----oooh this is fun
Well that's one thing we no longer have to worry about. 

@FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

I have long yearned for an offense in the Kubiak style.  That ZBS always seemed to churn out solid production from average backs and great production from above average backs. 

Losing Sparano last year hurt the offense, not that it was ever going to be great, but he was the run coordinator/O-line coach.  And those areas were a struggle last year.  I think Flip could have used a strong run coordinator to balance his passing tendencies. 

But glad that is over.  We finally have the ZBS that I have watched excel elsewhere.  And with the additions and depth of the line, I am very optimistic.  Even more so than normal at this time.  Smile