Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Then Ask Another Question
Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Troy was a bust and a disappointment. However he had some stats.
Treadwell went a whole year without any and very few after. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 1st round WR with so few stats that wasn't always injured. They forced the ball to Troy. They didn't try much with Treadwell. That should say alot.
The ball was forced to Troy because there wasn't anyone else to throw it to.  Bobby Wade?  Robert Fergeson?  Can you name a Viking WR from the TW era that actually wasn't crap?
I remember Washington playing a 4-4 against us because they felt secure playing our WRs in single coverage.

Quote: @greediron said:
@suncoastvike said:
Treadwell went a whole year without any and very few after. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 1st round WR with so few stats that wasn't always injured. They forced the ball to Troy. They didn't try much with Treadwell. That should say alot.
The ball was forced to Troy because there wasn't anyone else to throw it to.  Bobby Wade?  Robert Fergeson?  Can you name a Viking WR from the TW era that actually wasn't crap?
I remember Washington playing a 4-4 against us because they felt secure playing our WRs in single coverage.
No I really can't name one. We had one and we traded him for Troy basically.  Very disappointing times all around. 

LaQuon Treadwell  LT---sounds like a football player----and that's where the similarities end.

Polish up this pig and make the best trade ya can.  Late 6th rounder and a half cooler of gatorade is just about right

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
Stats don't really tell you anything....Every one of those 1st round WRs has been either a flat out bust (Treadwell, Doctson and Coleman) or hasn't yet played like a 1st rounder (Fuller). Interestingly, the three taken in the 2nd round (Thomas, Shepherd and Boyd) have been much better receivers. The 2016 1st round class is a parade of busts. 
 We thought we needed a WR. We didn't. 
Only in hindsight though. Receiver was high on our list that year because we did not expect (nor should we have expected) that our 5th rounder and local-tryout player were going to turn out so well. 
I thought we did too. I'm not letting myself off any hook.
In this case we got lucky. Takes the sting out of another blow high draft pick wasted on a WR.

I would think that we would want our WR3 to either be a quick slot receiver (who can create space / get open underneath)... OR a speedster who can take the top off the defense / open up opportunities for other receivers.  LT does neither.  When the OC does scheme to get him open... he drops the ball.  Not always; just on 3rd downs.

Quote: @pumpf said:
I would think that we would want our WR3 to either be a quick slot receiver (who can create space / get open underneath)... OR a speedster who can take the top off the defense / open up opportunities for other receivers.  LT does neither.  When the OC does scheme to get him open... he drops the ball.  Not always; just on 3rd downs.
just curious as to your reasoning for this?  We have Diggs and AT in those roles.  Last year Aldrick was the deep threat and played that role quite well catching mostly TDs.  LT was the big WR that should have been a reliable target on 3rd downs, but he definitely struggled being reliable.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
Stats don't really tell you anything....Every one of those 1st round WRs has been either a flat out bust (Treadwell, Doctson and Coleman) or hasn't yet played like a 1st rounder (Fuller). Interestingly, the three taken in the 2nd round (Thomas, Shepherd and Boyd) have been much better receivers. The 2016 1st round class is a parade of busts. 
I agree.
Treadwell, this is only my opinion, never really faced the kind of pressure normally associated with a 1st rounder. He certainly wasn't drafted too high and expected to make us forget Moss. We thought we needed a WR. We didn't. Any of those others wouldn't have made a difference either. We got our #1 and 2. 

I can't buy that reasoning. Put Michael Thomas or Tyler Boyd or Sterling Sharpe on this team, and even with Diggs and Thielen, they would contribute.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
I agree.
Treadwell, this is only my opinion, never really faced the kind of pressure normally associated with a 1st rounder. He certainly wasn't drafted too high and expected to make us forget Moss. We thought we needed a WR. We didn't. Any of those others wouldn't have made a difference either. We got our #1 and 2. 

I can't buy that reasoning. Put Michael Thomas or Tyler Boyd or Sterling Sharpe on this team, and even with Diggs and Thielen, they would contribute.
Any of those guys being any better then a #3 here. That's my reasoning. When you draft a WR in round 1. Hoping he's good enough to be #3 is not what you're thinking. We got or top 2 the unconventional way. Luckily.
Edit: I'm also on record saying with those 2 we got being a 3 should be easy. Hell I kinda even said Troy Williamson would have done better given he wouldn't have had so much pressure on him to be the man.