Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Said Goodbye to DirecTV
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I would like to try all these things,  but can't get "locals" via antenna,  and the cost of fast enought Internet out here would be as much the dish.

I think it's time for an initiative by the Federal Government much like the Rural Electrification Act to get high speed internet to every household in the US that wants it for a decent price. 

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
Roku + Sling + local HD antenna for free local TV.  Trophy wife is wanting to add Netflix.  I have cut my monthly bills by hundreds...so far.  Not done figuring this thing out yet.
Same setup as mine, with the addition of the Tablo OTA DVR.  Sling is nice in that you can watch anywhere on your smart phone.

Jimmy, I had tried what I thought were HD antennas previously, and it looks like technology has changed dramatically.  This is what my wireless internet supplier recommended for free HD TV...the difference, is that you either get the free channels or you don't.  No snow.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BRXW74/ref=asc_df_B001BRXW745107651/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B001BRXW74&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194024095585&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11821377864700856813&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021425&hvtargid=pla-500513093432

Quote: @"Proudhorn" said:
@"Riphawkins" said:
I got an e-mail from DirecTV saying I get Sunday Ticket free for being a loyal customer.
I've been with DirecTV for like 16 years and I've never gotten an email for free anything. I'd take it.
my wife was usually able to get Sunday Ticket for at least half price and a lot of times for free.  I am just tired of paying $100 a month for stuff i dont watch all year long just so i can watch the Vikings.

There has to be a better way. also, for the last 3 years ive been on shift work and only get one actual weekend (Sunday included) off a month. 

So a lot of the time I am recording to game or trying to catch some of it at work. it just didn't seem like a good deal anymore.

We'll see, the last time i wasnt able to watch every single game either live or recorded was back in '98. Hopefully we have that kind of year with a better ending.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
It really sucks, the days of negotiating with Directv are a thing of the past.  AT&T doesn't give a rats ass about customer loyalty or anything like that.  I've been reading thru this thread and thinking about options.  I've grown so used to Sunday Ticket and the Red Zone that I'm hesitant to change but I'm getting really fed up with the currents costs which just keep going up.
They're still negotiating; I've had DTV since 2001 and NFL Ticket since 2007. Last year I received NFL Ticket for free (plus other discounts) and this year they reduced it from $46.99 x 6 months to $16 x 6 months. 

Just have to be a little patient. 

Quote: @"BStads" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:
It really sucks, the days of negotiating with Directv are a thing of the past.  AT&T doesn't give a rats ass about customer loyalty or anything like that.  I've been reading thru this thread and thinking about options.  I've grown so used to Sunday Ticket and the Red Zone that I'm hesitant to change but I'm getting really fed up with the currents costs which just keep going up.
They're still negotiating; I've had DTV since 2001 and NFL Ticket since 2007. Last year I received NFL Ticket for free (plus other discounts) and this year they reduced it from $46.99 x 6 months to $16 x 6 months. 

That was last year.  I've talked to them several times already this year...good luck.  Hope you get your discount.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
@"BStads" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:

That was last year.  I've talked to them several times already this year...good luck.  Hope you get your discount.
i already did get a discount. I never expect to get it free,
but they've reduced it from $281 to $99 this year with a
simple phone call.  

I didnt even ask for Retentions.