Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Draft's 'outstanding' defensive line class draws Vikings' attention
We definitely can't reach...but we also can't sit back and say there was a run that we didn't anticipate...we've reached critical mass at the OL...

Hopefully between restructure, release and some savvy front office/fa moves, we can give ourselves a little flex in the draft. But we absolutely need some personnel upgrades for the OL. The D may need some as well if EG,SR and AB are gone. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"FSUVike" said:
You can't reach. Have Ponder and Treadwell taught us nothing?

If the FO, bolstered by the Kubiak Krew, have a grade that is substantially higher on Oliver or Wilkins or White or Bush than an IOL or OT at #18 that needs to be the way they go.

I've read very little about the impact of Ragnow & Price last year while 2nd Round picks Braden Smith and our own O'Neill clearly made an impact as Rookies.

Really, only RB, WR and Safety are the positions where taking a much higher rated player than any other position makes no sense.

It's about marrying value and need and not forcing a Shotgun Wedding. Every time the Vikings bust out that damn shotgun the only target they hit is their own feet.
You forgot mr #7 overall pick too...

I didn't forget, but I'm still trying!

We have to look at d-line at 18, there is so much talent at DT in this draft that I'd almost be upset to pass on one for a second tier offensive guard, when you could take fliers in the 2nd or 3rd rounds and get comparable talent.  Dillard is the one guy that I see as a must take, he would be a game changer for us in the passing game.  Outside of him Bradbury will get eaten alive in the NFL with his t-rex arms as I see him being a liability in the passing game vs big DTs. 0 Lindstrom could be a good fit but he isnt an elite guard and you dont spend mid firsts on guards like that.  Ever other player is a reach at 18, if we trade back and pick up picks later in the draft I'd be good with going with need later in the first with additional ammo in the 2nd.  Someone like Oakland or Naw Engkand with multiple picks in the second.

It really sets us up if we can get a 2nd for Waynes snd another for trading back.  We can grab the top Guard remaining late in the first, then take a flier on someone like Simmons in the second and add another linemen and a DE or WR or LB or another DT.  I'd be much happier with that haul than a guy like Lindstrom at 18 and I'd be upset if we took Bradbury at 18 no matter what, trade back and get a 2nd I'd be good with him as I think he can play just dont see him as a game changer for our oline and I can see defenses scheming him into a liability.

Quote: @"Amazonviking" said:
Outside of him Bradbury will get eaten alive in the NFL with his t-rex arms as I see him being a liability in the passing game vs big DTs. 

I think you’re making a little too much of Bradbury’s arm length. Short arms is why you put guys at center. At the combine, Bradbury’s arms measured 31-3/4. At the Senior Bowl they measured 32-1/2. That’s right in line with the best centers in the NFL. 
All Pro Ryan Kalil - 31-1/2
All Pro Mike Pouncey - 32-1/4
All Pro Maurkice Pouncey - 32-1/2
All Pro Max Unger - 32-1/2
All pro Jason Kelce - 32-1/2
Top Free Agent Matt Paradis - 32-3/8
Top Free Agent Mitch Morse - 32-1/4

That is my point on Bradbury, he is purely a center and at 18 would be the 2nd highest drafted center in the last 20 years.  His short arms mean he is locked in at center.  I said it before trade back and get extra picks if he is your guy but taking him at 18 is a stretch.  He is going to be a good center and I'd be happy he is a Viking, just not at 18.  If you look at your list there are 2 guys taken in the first round, 4 in the second and 1 in the 6th.  You just dont draft centers that high.  Look at the 2 best centers we've had over the last 20 years in Sullivan and Birk.  Both late round picks and both pro bowlers.  Not saying it is a bad idea but there is a reason guys aren't drafted that often in the first round at center.  It doesnt mean they aren't good, it just means they usually aren't game changers.

Quote: @"Amazonviking" said:
That is my point on Bradbury, he is purely a center and at 18 would be the 2nd highest drafted center in the last 20 years.  His short arms mean he is locked in at center.  I said it before trade back and get extra picks if he is your guy but taking him at 18 is a stretch.  He is going to be a good center and I'd be happy he is a Viking, just not at 18.  If you look at your list there are 2 guys taken in the first round, 4 in the second and 1 in the 6th.  You just dont draft centers that high.  Look at the 2 best centers we've had over the last 20 years in Sullivan and Birk.  Both late round picks and both pro bowlers.  Not saying it is a bad idea but there is a reason guys aren't drafted that often in the first round at center.  It doesnt mean they aren't good, it just means they usually aren't game changers.
I don't have a problem with that argument. I've never been a big fan of taking ANY offensive linemen in the 1st round, especially interior ones. But I think the Vikings are a special circumstance this year. If we can trade down and get him, even better. But he's not going to be there at #50

I just don't think the short arm argument works. This is an all pro center for a decade, especially on a zone team. He's better than Ragnow, he's better than Price, he's better than Elflein, and I have a hunch if we pass on him because of some "arm length" standard, we're going to regret it. 

When you look at Jospeh's age and contract, if Dexter Lawrence is there it would be very tough to pass on him even if you kept Joseph two more years.