Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Draft's 'outstanding' defensive line class draws Vikings' attention
Uncertainty at a couple of spots on the Vikings defensive line led to a long look at the college players at the NFL scouting combine who may be potential replacements.
INDIANAPOLIS — The Vikings left the NFL scouting combine having made a strong impression on one of the many talented defensive linemen in a heralded NFL Draft class.
Versatile Texas defensive lineman Charles Omenihu, a projected mid-round pick in April’s NFL Draft, could be the Vikings’ next project for respected defensive line coach Andre Patterson.
“I definitely had a good feeling with the Ravens, Houston Texans, Minnesota Vikings; the Lions, Dolphins and the Chiefs,” Omenihu said. “Teams like that. Teams that can run multiple fronts that can put me in and out. Those are the teams I feel like are coming at me the hardest.”
The Vikings used one of their 60 formal interviews during the combine last week on Omenihu (6-5, 280 pounds), a freakish athlete with longer arms (36″) than Danielle Hunter. Omenihu is coming off a breakout senior season at Texas featuring 18 tackles for losses. He played multiple positions and said NFL teams asked him about playing both defensive end and three-technique defensive tackle.
A formal 15-minute interview doesn’t guarantee the Vikings’ interest come April, but they’re intrigued by this rookie D-line class. It’s considered one of the strongest positions in this year’s draft, according to NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah.
The Vikings met with another late-round prospect, TCU defensive end L.J. Collier, during the Senior Bowl in January. Collier (6-2, 283 pounds) is more of a tweener whom analysts say could fare better as a defensive tackle in the NFL.
“Premier talent and depth at the defensive line position, inside, outside, it’s outstanding,” Jeremiah said, “and it carries deep into the draft.”
http://www.startribune.com/nfl-drafts-ou...506819402/

Sigh. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Sigh. 

He's projected to be a mid-round pick, not a first round pick...  suck that sigh back in, Sticky.  :-D

I'm picturing that meme of the couple holding hands and the guy is checking out another woman...

There's going to be a DL prospect at #18 (the other woman) when We should focus on what's the need at OL...we can't continue to ignore this deficit...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'm picturing that meme of the couple holding hands and the guy is checking out another woman...

There's going to be a DL prospect at #18 (the other woman) when We should focus on what's the need at OL...we can't continue to ignore this deficit...
Ha! Same. But it depends on what we're able to do in free agency. If we can land a Saffold or a Zeitler, I think that frees us up somewhat to go defense in 1 if that's where the value is. Especially if we end up with more draft capital after trading a player or two. An extra 3rd rounder, for example, might allow us to upgrade the 2nd rounder into the early part of the round, which to me looks like the strongest part of this draft, particularly at DL, OL, WR and TE.

I don't see us active in FA, unless our current cap situation changes drastically...

I don't see us active in FA, unless our current cap situation changes drastically...
I think it will. If the rumors are true that we're shopping Waynes and either restructuring, trading or releasing Rudolph, Griffen, Sendejo and Remmers, we should end up with roughly $20M in cap space. We still have to sign Anthony Harris, which is new money, but even so, that should allow us to at least compete for one top free agent. Restructuring Thielen could potentially save us some money as well. 

Breeze gonna earn is paycheck this month. 

My instincts say big change is gonna come...

You can't reach. Have Ponder and Treadwell taught us nothing?

If the FO, bolstered by the Kubiak Krew, have a grade that is substantially higher on Oliver or Wilkins or White or Bush than an IOL or OT at #18 that needs to be the way they go.

I've read very little about the impact of Ragnow & Price last year while 2nd Round picks Braden Smith and our own O'Neill clearly made an impact as Rookies.

Really, only RB, WR and Safety are the positions where taking a much higher rated player than any other position makes no sense.

It's about marrying value and need and not forcing a Shotgun Wedding. Every time the Vikings bust out that damn shotgun the only target they hit is their own feet.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
You can't reach. Have Ponder and Treadwell taught us nothing?

If the FO, bolstered by the Kubiak Krew, have a grade that is substantially higher on Oliver or Wilkins or White or Bush than an IOL or OT at #18 that needs to be the way they go.

I've read very little about the impact of Ragnow & Price last year while 2nd Round picks Braden Smith and our own O'Neill clearly made an impact as Rookies.

Really, only RB, WR and Safety are the positions where taking a much higher rated player than any other position makes no sense.

It's about marrying value and need and not forcing a Shotgun Wedding. Every time the Vikings bust out that damn shotgun the only target they hit is their own feet.
You forgot mr #7 overall pick too...