Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB with #1? A bit of a pivotal moment for me.
This isn't a new take; many have offered it before... but it's worth asking again: if Zimmer is so good a "coaching up" DBs, then why do we have to spend high draft capital on them?  Why not get a "diamond" (like A. Harris) and make him into a good player... and spend the draft capital on positions that are harder to hit on  (like OL!!!)?

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@medaille said:
I don’t think it would have been out of the question to go
Hernandez – O’Neill, or Hernandez – Corbett (or whichever starting guard they
thought would be there in the 2nd) and then leave Remmers at RT or
let him compete at RG.  There would have
been much less risk with that plan.
PA and Leber were talking today...Hernandez may not have been a scheme fit, but a road grader @ OG just might have helped the running game a bit this year. 
While Hernandez maybe was more ideal in a man scheme, I think he was nimble enough to play pretty much any scheme.  No doubt he would have helped a ton in the running game.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Interesting. I was thinking about Hughes this morning, partly related to the "Why not Will Hernandez?" aspect, but also because several people have commented in the past week that Rhodes was a disappointment in 2018 and maybe we should move him and let Hughes start.
But, though I liked what Hughes did in his shortened rookie season, remember his limitations: he's 5'10" and 190 soaking wet. That's going to replace Xavier Rhodes? Rhodes wasn't as impressive this year, but we also didn't have to face a lot of bigger WRs, partly because Jordy Nelson and others have left the NFCN. Josh Robinson got run out of town by Zimmer three years ago for being too short and spending most of a season injured...how is Hughes dramatically better?
Rhodes is still a good CB and vital to controlling taller receivers. Mac Alexander was one of the few defenders who improved in 2018 and has become a good nickelback. We found good depth in Holton Hill. But we passed Hernandez, Braden Smith, James Daniels...not to mention Nick Chubb. Hughes was a luxury pick by a team that had true needs.
Hughes is better because he didn't spend his entire college career playing Zone like Robinson.

Oh, and fyi, the League changed. Huge guys like Evans and Alshon and Brandon Marshall that could out muscle, out leap and post you up have been getting replaced by smaller, shifter guys.

And for 1,000th time, Hernandez is NOT a ZBS guy. You were much more spot on with Braden Smith.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@Jor-El said:
Interesting. I was thinking about Hughes this morning, partly related to the "Why not Will Hernandez?" aspect, but also because several people have commented in the past week that Rhodes was a disappointment in 2018 and maybe we should move him and let Hughes start.
But, though I liked what Hughes did in his shortened rookie season, remember his limitations: he's 5'10" and 190 soaking wet. That's going to replace Xavier Rhodes? Rhodes wasn't as impressive this year, but we also didn't have to face a lot of bigger WRs, partly because Jordy Nelson and others have left the NFCN. Josh Robinson got run out of town by Zimmer three years ago for being too short and spending most of a season injured...how is Hughes dramatically better?
Rhodes is still a good CB and vital to controlling taller receivers. Mac Alexander was one of the few defenders who improved in 2018 and has become a good nickelback. We found good depth in Holton Hill. But we passed Hernandez, Braden Smith, James Daniels...not to mention Nick Chubb. Hughes was a luxury pick by a team that had true needs.
Hughes is better because he didn't spend his entire college career playing Zone like Robinson.

Oh, and fyi, the League changed. Huge guys like Evans and Alshon and Brandon Marshall that could out muscle, out leap and post you up have been getting replaced by smaller, shifter guys.

And for 1,000th time, Hernandez is NOT a ZBS guy. You were much more spot on with Braden Smith.
And Remmers isn't a Guard at all and yet we started him there the whole season.