Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Packers dealing with costly penalties in tie with Vikings
Quote: @greediron said:
Lol
McCarthy said a holding penalty on guard Lane Taylor, which wiped out Jimmy Graham’s touchdown catch also bothered him. “Frankly, I was more upset about that call than Clay’s,” McCarthy said
So the arm around the throat and tackling the guy from behind isn't holding?  Dude is either a dipshit or so used to getting the benefit of the refs he doesn't understand the rules.
There is no either/or. He is a dipshit and ridiculously spoiled by the benefit he gets from the refs. 

Lol
McCarthy said a holding penalty on guard Lane Taylor, which wiped out Jimmy Graham’s touchdown catch also bothered him. “Frankly, I was more upset about that call than Clay’s,” McCarthy said
So the arm around the throat and tackling the guy from behind isn't holding?  Dude is either a dipshit or so used to getting the benefit of the refs he doesn't understand the rules.
But but but they scored a touchdown. You can't take touchdown away from green bay. That's like not allowed or something.

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@greediron said:
Lol
But but but they scored a touchdown. You can't take touchdown away from green bay. That's like not allowed or something.
Yeah, just ask Shiancoe... oh wait.  "away from Green Bay".

Unfortunately, when the Packers cry, the NFL listens. And so does the media. The Packers raise the issue; the media blows it up; and the NFL has to address it.  If any team held Packers pass rushers the way they hold others, the holding rules would be instantly adjusted.  They like legal holding because of who they have under center. If instead of Rodgers, they had Trubiskey and Mack, the holding rules would be very different.
So, every team needs to teach pass blocking like the Packers do. Grab the pass rusher's shoulder pads, mirror his feet, and don't let go.  It takes some physical ability, but not as much as pass blocking does.

Quote: @dadevike said:
Unfortunately, when the Packers cry, the NFL listens. And so does the media. The Packers raise the issue; the media blows it up; and the NFL has to address it.  If any team held Packers pass rushers the way they hold others, the holding rules would be instantly adjusted.  They like legal holding because of who they have under center. If instead of Rodgers, they had Trubiskey and Mack, the holding rules would be very different.
So, every team needs to teach pass blocking like the Packers do. Grab the pass rusher's shoulder pads, mirror his feet, and don't let go.  It takes some physical ability, but not as much as pass blocking does.
Actually the NFL said it was going to use the two penalties in this game as teaching tools of what you can't do to a QB.  So Matthews can suck it. 

As to the holding, it isn't legal.  It is illegal to grab outside the frame, which they do.  But they get by for some reason.

I just watched the play again. Matthews left his feet and drove his shoulder into Cousins. Yes, his head was to the side, but he drove the QB in the turf.
That is exactly the thing the NFL doesn’t want. End of story.

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
I just watched the play again. Matthews left his feet and drove his shoulder into Cousins. Yes, his head was to the side, but he drove the QB in the turf.
That is exactly the thing the NFL doesn’t want. End of story.
Yep.  Defenders just need to get used to no leaving their feet to drive their shoulder into the QB.

Actually the NFL said it was going to use the two penalties in this game as teaching tools of what you can't do to a QB.  So Matthews can suck it. 

As to the holding, it isn't legal.  It is illegal to grab outside the frame, which they do.  But they get by for some reason.
Yep. The NFL has equated the Matthews hit with the Kendricks hit.  But prior to that, how much has anyone heard about the Kndricks hit?  It was the same as the Matthews hit so surely there must have been an outcry about that call, too, right?  At least a casual mention? Anything? I did not hear a peep. And I suspect the Kendricks call would have gone completely un-mentioned .... except the NFL brought it up. 
Basically, the Packers are saying "we want that called made when Rodgers is hit but not when we hit the other team's QB." And the media just buys into it.  I guess Rodgers is just that big a draw.  The NFL showed just the slightest bit of backbone - basically saying, "We are already letting you hold to protect Rodgers. We can't just outlaw all hits on Rodgers but not on any other QBs." 
Way to stand up to the Packers, Roger.  That'll show 'em.