Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking News - Teddy to the Big Easy!
Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@BlackMagic7 said:
I wonder...

Your a GM. You felt like you needed to make a splash in free agency at the QB position and drafted a QB; all while still have your starting QB from last season on roster. You get to camp and the rookie looks better than the veterans - a "splash" FA vs. the incumbent starter. You think, hell, McCown can be the backup; lets get something for this young promising QB.

... when weighing trade partners... does the thought of him hopefully not starting cross your mind?  Do you think for a moment, "we'll look like clowns if he leads [X] to the playoffs." When the Dolphins call, do you scoff and say "for you?! it'll take 3 picks!"

The Saints seem so random, I was kinda wondering if you'd settle for a marginally lesser offer to ship him somewhere for the sake of saving face.... haha, if there might be someone in the front office putting a secret premium on the value in that.
I'd bet that plays into it more than people think.
Trades between division rivals almost never happen. For the reasons Blackmagic stated. I don't think Teddy was the "splash" FA they were hoping for. However they did a great job handling his situation and got a 3rd round pick for him. The fact that the Saints gave up a 3rd tells me they don't intend for it to be a one year rental or it's a dumb move because Brees has been rock solid and starts ever game. It's a better place for Teddy. Maybe they extend him and he has a home. 
Good luck to him. Just why did it have to be the Saints?? Confused

I know division rivals don't trade often if at all, guess I threw it in there together for the sake of showing a G.M might not always be interested in taking the maximum best offer. Maybe you get creative and send him somewhere far away not just from your division, but conference...

I didn't realize it was a 3rd round pick. Whoa! What a strange situation to be a free agent a few months ago free to sign with any team in the league, with a circus of media saying 'only the Jets are interested.' Now the Saints jump in out of nowhere and give up a 3rd round pick on a one year rental (obviously, they could resign him but as it stands it's a 1 year deal) being paid a padded free agent price tag?! I'd find a little weird if the Saints didn't contact Teddy's agent back when FA started... did they get through 3 preseason games and realize their backup sucked? lol.

For as rare as inter division trades are, how often do teams sign players out of free agency and turn around and trade them before the season starts? That's pretty rare too. You do that in Madden - sign a free agent to trade him for a draft pick - and you'll get eyebrows for cheesing the game lol...