Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Did Everyone Survive The Canine Apocalypse?
My Dudley lab goes the total opposite way. My neighborhood sounded like a war zone last night; with the cancellation/reschedule of the fireworks here in town it sounded like everyone was home to light their own off. 

My dog got an incredible urge to play. When the illegal ones started going off, he was tossing his rope toy around to himself, tail waging, shoving his face in any lap he could find to get someone to toss that thing. He was acting like there was a party going on and he was ready. He would follow us into whatever room we went into, stop and stare at us from the doorway - rope hanging from his mouth. If we looked his way, he'd start throwing the rope back up to himself like - "Hey, look at me! Are we doing this thing?!"

Worst 4th of July so far in my hound dog’s life. Dumb asses were shooting stuff off in the early afternoon, and I went to look for him. Found him on our bed, and he had buried himself under the covers. He was shaking really bad, so I cuddled up next to him and rubbed his ears.

Next year I’m going to get some doggy downers from the vet.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"minny65" said:
My two year old Golden just sits and watches them with us.  I was told because Golden's are a hunting dog they are usually not afraid of loud noises like gun shots or fireworks and he seems fine and doesn't flinch when he hears either.  
I am 2 labs in a row that hate fireworks.  Confused
Do you hunt with your lab?  Usually when you train a hunting dog, you take measures to asure they dont become gun shy.  I know its different though.  Just curious because I’ve never had a dog afraid of fireworks.

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"minny65" said:
My two year old Golden just sits and watches them with us.  I was told because Golden's are a hunting dog they are usually not afraid of loud noises like gun shots or fireworks and he seems fine and doesn't flinch when he hears either.  
Do you hunt with your lab?  Usually when you train a hunting dog, you take measures to asure they dont become gun shy.  I know its different though.  Just curious because I’ve never had a dog afraid of fireworks.
I may have if they weren't so noise shy as pups. I've tried several things over the years,  but nothing seemed to calm them.  If this one makes it as long as my last one she will likely be my final lab as I don't know that I will want another big dog in my golden years.  Bit out of curiosity what do you do to gun break your dogs?

I love labs. It's been a few years since I've been canine companionless. You guys have me rethinking if it's time again. Just I'm going away so much nowdays. Weekend trips and stuff. Not fair to leave dogs alone. Don't like asking others to watch them. Big dogs cost big money to board. I just can't do them tiny purse dogs. I really miss the days of camping with the kids and the dogs. More then they do I'm sure. My grandson should have a dog here to play with though. Damn it...

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
I love labs. It's been a few years since I've been canine companionless. You guys have me rethinking if it's time again. Just I'm going away so much nowdays. Weekend trips and stuff. Not fair to leave dogs alone. Don't like asking others to watch them. Big dogs cost big money to board. I just can't do them tiny purse dogs. I really miss the days of camping with the kids and the dogs. More then they do I'm sure. My grandson should have a dog here to play with though. Damn it...
I am thinking that I would like a medium sized dog.  there are some that dont shed,  are hypoallergenic (if thats possible),  and still have the hunter instincts and loyalties of the larger breeds.  I will likely pay out the ass for one,  but I want to travel and big labs dont travel well.  its weird to even be thinking about this since our Curry is only 3 years old right now... hopefully we have at least another 10 before we have to consider new options.

@"suncoastvike" said:
I am thinking that I would like a medium sized dog.  there are some that dont shed,  are hypoallergenic (if thats possible),  and still have the hunter instincts and loyalties of the larger breeds.  I will likely pay out the ass for one,  but I want to travel and big labs dont travel well.  its weird to even be thinking about this since our Curry is only 3 years old right now... hopefully we have at least another 10 before we have to consider new options.
The last dog I had was an adoption. The previous owner couldn't care for her and asked me to take her. Only had the one Lab then so I  took her. Free right.. She was a Chow/Spaniel mix. She was mid sized. Around 38 lbs. Got her when she was 8 months. Hyper as all hell for the first 5 years. Then she mellowed nicely. She lived over 13 years. She turned out to be a good dog. She got real bad seizures at the end. She was into everything when she was young. My wife was out walking her. An elderly neighbor lady ask her to help her move a dresser. She said bring the dog in it's ok. Well they were in the bedroom the dog got into the door under the sink. Found this lady's rat bait and ate the whole box. Rushed her to the vet. They pumped her and put her on blood thinners. That stuff is meant to clot blood and kill by heart failure or exploding inside. Nearly worked on my pup. She got blood clots in her eyes and was sick, well as a dog for a couple days. The vet and his team kept her at the clinic for a couple days. She survived it. The vet said that experience when she was young could have triggered the seizures. They never knew the true cause. She had them from time to time as a young dog. They were daily as and old dog. She would literally lock up. Piss all over sometimes then come back. She would look at me with sad eyes like what just happened. That and she was going blind. Had bad skin allergies that she was chewing herself till she bled. I had to put her down. I don't believe in keeping an old dog around suffering no matter how hard to say goodbye.

Normally the 4th is terrible for my dog but this year it rained all night. Zanax and dogsters, Happy 4th!

i heard one time to give a dog or cat a benadryl as a safe sedative when they are getting worked up.  anybody ever try that?

@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"minny65" said:
I may have if they weren't so noise shy as pups. I've tried several things over the years,  but nothing seemed to calm them.  If this one makes it as long as my last one she will likely be my final lab as I don't know that I will want another big dog in my golden years.  Bit out of curiosity what do you do to gun break your dogs?

As pups you get them acclimated by associating noise with good things.  When you feed them you make noise with their dish for instance.  When training in the field you get them into retrieving and use a cap gun when you throw the dummy.  Gradually just getting them comfortable and then working your way up to a shotgun.  

I think once they have a problem however, there is no fixing it.