Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OTA news ...
Whoa, #8 tossing the ball took me back a couple years. My brain knows its Cousins, but my gut starts getting excited Bradford is back!

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I hate to question Diggs because he has been our best drafted WR since Moss and the very best player to come out of all the round 5-7 picks we collect.

But I'm not sure he's really an irreplaceable superstar WR. He has made exceptional plays, but what are the qualities that make him elite? Most people say he has not had a thousand yard season only due to injuries, but the truth is, he has a lot of very ordinary games. In 2017 Diggs started 14 regular season and 2 playoff games - and he only went over 100 yards twice. Yes, I know the Vikings didn't run a heavy passing offense, but he has a lot of games where he goes 4-for-32 or 5-for-30, even when healthy. He will break off an occasional big day, but a lot of teams seem to be able to limit him.

If Diggs misses a few games this year, we might find that Kendall Wright can step in and do a lot of things nearly as well. To be fair, last year I thought Michael Floyd might step in when Diggs was out and be impressive, so this may be entirely unfounded.
him and AT led the league in contested catches last year,  that doesnt really leave much room for YAC,  now maybe that is ball placement that was hindering him,  or maybe he just doesnt get open very well.  if Cousins is the answer we should see both AT and Diggs over 1000 yds this year easily IMO.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Ben Leber said Diggs looks a little bigger and stronger in OTAs than last year.
IIRC that was said last year as well.  stands to reason that a kid that came to the team after a major injury issue in college would show some decent growth his first few years in the pros with their nutrition and strength programs.
Diggs was a top-rated WR coming out of high school....I mean a big time college prospect. He ended up going to Maryland for family reasons but all the top programs were after him. He's hitting his potential as a pro and Minnesota is benefiting. 
He was a 5-star recruit. That's as good as it gets. And you're right about the family thing. Diggs is a good kid.  And that's what is exciting about his future. He's still just 24 years old, and you can kinda see that in his celebrations, which I personally find hysterical, but I know some don't. Bottom line: he's just scratching the surface. 

I watched Flip's interview yesterday. He digs him some Diggs. They are the same kind of guy--emotional, vocal and very competitive. I think that's going to be a match made in heaven for Kirk and our offense. I'm excited to see what's in store.
All I can say is if the Vikings don't get Diggs locked up it'll be one of their dumbest mistakes in recent years.
Also, I'll add this...Diggs is at OTAs busting his ass like the rest of the team getting ready for the upcoming season. He's going to make a little over 1.9 mil this season unless something gets done. Meanwhile, Barr is on his 5th year option and is scheduled to make over 12 mil and is sitting out OTAs pouting for his new deal. Give me the guy that's with the team right now working his ass off over that other guy any old day. 

Quote: @prairieghost said:
I watched Flip's interview yesterday. He digs him some Diggs. They are the same kind of guy--emotional, vocal and very competitive. I think that's going to be a match made in heaven for Kirk and our offense. I'm excited to see what's in store.
All I can say is if the Vikings don't get Diggs locked up it'll be one of their dumbest mistakes in recent years.
Also, I'll add this...Diggs is at OTAs busting his ass like the rest of the team getting ready for the upcoming season. He's going to make a little over 1.9 mil this season unless something gets done. Meanwhile, Barr is on his 5th year option and is scheduled to make over 12 mil and is sitting out OTAs pouting for his new deal. Give me the guy that's with the team right now working his ass off over that other guy any old day. 
yep,  Barr is falling out of favor with me,  I can hear all day about its business,  but I am a fan and dont give a fuck about the business side,  I want all our guys there showing me that the care as much about the upcoming season as us fans do.   Like I said yesterday,   BRob takes a 2 million dollar pay cut and shows up,  Barr is going to make over 12 million this year and he is pouting about it...  shows me what kind of guy he really is.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@prairieghost said:
yep,  Barr is falling out of favor with me,  I can hear all day about its business,  but I am a fan and dont give a fuck about the business side,  I want all our guys there showing me that the care as much about the upcoming season as us fans do.   Like I said yesterday,   BRob takes a 2 million dollar pay cut and shows up,  Barr is going to make over 12 million this year and he is pouting about it...  shows me what kind of guy he really is.
Yeah, I'm not going to take it that far. Not for voluntary workouts. Very good, very high work ethic players have made similar statements. I don't agree with it. It's not what I would do, but I get it. He holds out of mini-camp, then color me concerned. He holds out of training camp, then I'm right where you are. 

Personally, I have a hunch the team has already decided they're not going to extend Barr and he knows that. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I hate to question Diggs because he has been our best drafted WR since Moss and the very best player to come out of all the round 5-7 picks we collect.

But I'm not sure he's really an irreplaceable superstar WR. He has made exceptional plays, but what are the qualities that make him elite? Most people say he has not had a thousand yard season only due to injuries, but the truth is, he has a lot of very ordinary games. In 2017 Diggs started 14 regular season and 2 playoff games - and he only went over 100 yards twice. Yes, I know the Vikings didn't run a heavy passing offense, but he has a lot of games where he goes 4-for-32 or 5-for-30, even when healthy. He will break off an occasional big day, but a lot of teams seem to be able to limit him.

If Diggs misses a few games this year, we might find that Kendall Wright can step in and do a lot of things nearly as well. To be fair, last year I thought Michael Floyd might step in when Diggs was out and be impressive, so this may be entirely unfounded.
I dont think anyone is calling him superstar.  But at the same time who do we replace him with? I get the less than super star thing and I get the sometime fragile (not in Cindy Rice’s league but who do we,replace him with?  We can hope Wright blossoms or Treadwell awakes from his slumber but until then, if the Vikes want a superbowl run then they need two above average WRs.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@prairieghost said:
Yeah, I'm not going to take it that far. Not for voluntary workouts. Very good, very high work ethic players have made similar statements. I don't agree with it. It's not what I would do, but I get it. He holds out of mini-camp, then color me concerned. He holds out of training camp, then I'm right where you are. 

Personally, I have a hunch the team has already decided they're not going to extend Barr and he knows that. 
I think they have a price in mind that they want to keep him at, but they must be pretty far apart.

If Barr wants to get PAID, he'll probably have to wait until FA next year.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@prairieghost said:

If they decided to move on why would they give him his 5th year?    They want him at what he's worth,  but he's playing games.  I am personally sick of this 5th year bullshit.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@prairieghost said:

If they decided to move on why would they give him his 5th year?    They want him at what he's worth,  but he's playing games.  I am personally sick of this 5th year bullshit.
Because they want to win a Super Bowl this year. Teams as stacked as this team was last year typically don't keep all their players. Vikings not only kept them all (all who matter), but ADDED two very good players at what could be argued the two most impactful positions in football. Vikings would be foolish to take Barr off of that team.  We have plenty of money to pay him his 5th year option. So it's all hands on deck. Let's go win a Super Bowl with him. After that, priorities or going to change a little.

Just my hunch. I could be wrong.