Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“We value cover guys here, along with our pass rushers,”
Quote: @Jor-El said:
@prairieghost said:
The guys they wanted for O-line went ahead of their pick. They just didn't have the ammo to go up and get them without taking themselves out of other spots of need for the rest of the draft. So, they stayed at 30 and picked the highest player left on their board at a position that needed more depth. It all makes plenty of sense and I'm inclined to believe they know who fits their team better than we do.

I don't believe it - Spielman has never targeted offensive linemen early. Seeing Price and Ragnow drafted was likely a huge relief for them so they did not have to explain why Hughes was picked over them (especially Ragnow the local guy). What about James Daniels, who is rated as an ideal lineman for zone blocking, if not Will Hernandez or Connor Williams?
If they were sad about any player being drafted early, it was Jaire Alexander. Zimmer wants early-round CBs on his team, as many as he can get. You would think the past few years would make him lie awake worrying about his QB getting hurt, but apparently his nightmares are all about running out of CBs.

I tend to believe what Geoff tells us. He said the Vikings were high on Ragnow. He also mentioned Connor Williams recently and he's obviously still available. I've seen TBro among others mention in a couple of threads that the intent must be to move Remmers to G. If so, somebody like Williams would be a good pick, or maybe Tyrell Crosby (who Geoff mocked to the Vikings in one of his drafts).  There are still O-linemen out there to be had. They moved up last year for Elflein and it doesn't seem far fetched to me at all that they may do the same tonight for another O-lineman.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:

Mike Hughes was graded very highly by multiple sites. 

Josh Jackson, Isaiah Oliver, Carlton Davis, Donte Jackson, MJ Stewart, and Holton Hill to name a few were still available.

I was surprised they did not take Jackson but maybe the 3-cone time and return ability of Hughes is what gave him more value?

Regardless of when they took a corner, they had to get one and I would not be surprised if they took another.

They only have 3 right now.  If any would have been hurt then you would be looking at bringing in Sherels who is not good at all as a corner.

I think the pick was very good although they do need to get an offensive lineman tonight.
Exactly. Among the available CBs, I wanted Josh Jackson but have no problem with Hughes. Ideally, I would have grabbed Mo Hurst at 30, but he is not an immediate need like Hughes. I too would not be surprised by us taking another CB. But with a later pick.