Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Thought
Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"SmashmouthD" said:
Another thought would be to let Diggs walk.  He's going to get over-paid by someone.  Might be better to draft a mid-round somebody this year, or wait until next year and hope for a better WR class.  We'll be drafting late, but we'll have some draft capital to move up if we want to.

Doing so would allow you to get 1-2 OL pieces in the first 3 rounds this year.  And I'd still take a CB early.

(BTW -- my thinking in all of this is that someone isn't getting re-signed.  I want to keep Richardson and draft a player this year that can start next year.)
wouldnt the team be better off to look for Richardsons replacement in the draft since he is likely to show the least loyalty,  and command top dollar?
I agree about Richardson being less likely to stay with the Vikings. He thought he deserved $15M this year, so he is aiming to establish a higher value for 2019. But he might decide he likes playing on this line.
Re "let Diggs walk": scary for those of us who lived through the years from Moss to Diggs when we couldn't find any decent WRs. Could the Vikings draft DJ Moore as a replacement for Diggs?

Diggs is a great complimentary player imo but paired with Thielen? We've got our best combo since Carter/Moss. Given how the Vikings have had such great difficulty drafting WR's lately, keeping Diggs is a priority for me. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"SmashmouthD" said:
Another thought would be to let Diggs walk.  He's going to get over-paid by someone.  Might be better to draft a mid-round somebody this year, or wait until next year and hope for a better WR class.  We'll be drafting late, but we'll have some draft capital to move up if we want to.

Doing so would allow you to get 1-2 OL pieces in the first 3 rounds this year.  And I'd still take a CB early.

(BTW -- my thinking in all of this is that someone isn't getting re-signed.  I want to keep Richardson and draft a player this year that can start next year.)
wouldnt the team be better off to look for Richardsons replacement in the draft since he is likely to show the least loyalty,  and command top dollar?
I agree about Richardson being less likely to stay with the Vikings. He thought he deserved $15M this year, so he is aiming to establish a higher value for 2019. But he might decide he likes playing on this line.
Re "let Diggs walk": scary for those of us who lived through the years from Moss to Diggs when we couldn't find any decent WRs. Could the Vikings draft DJ Moore as a replacement for Diggs?

Diggs is a great complimentary player imo but paired with Thielen? We've got our best combo since Carter/Moss. Given how the Vikings have had such great difficulty drafting WR's lately, keeping Diggs is a priority for me. 
Starting WR duos for the Vikings since 2002 (2001 was Carter's last year):
2002: Randy Moss/D'Wayne Bates
2003: Randy Moss/Nate Burleson
2004: Randy Moss/Nate Burleson
2005: Nate Burleson/Travis Taylor
2006: Travis Taylor/Troy Williamson
2007: Bobby Wade/Robert Ferguson
2008: Bobby Wade/Bernard Berrian
2009: Bernard Berrian/Sidney Rice
2010: Bernard Berrian/Percy Harvin
2011: Percy Harvin/Michael Jenkins
2012: Percy Harvin/Jerome Simpson
2013: Jerome Simpson/Greg Jennings
2014: Greg Jennings/Cordarrelle Patterson
2015: Mike Wallace/Stefon Diggs
2016: Stefon Diggs/Adam Thielen*
2017: Stefon Diggs/Adam Thielen*
Agree, PF...we've had some real lean years in this period of time. While there was 1 outstanding individual player (Moss) and some decent to good individual guys after him (Burleson, Rice, Harvin, Jennings) there were no noteworthy duos...not until 2016...I'd like to see us continue with our current duo for years to come.
Edit: I know the QB and OL situations we have had in this time frame have been pretty putrid as well. That's why I give Diggs and Thielen a lot of credit because they've literally had a carousel at QB since they became the starters and have only gotten better together. I sure hope we don't pull the plug on that.

I think Richardson is the type to fall off once he get his big money deal.  I dont think he will disappear,  but I dont think we will see the intensity that we will see this year in a get paid mode.  I know he wants 15,  but unless he is a complete monster you have to attribute a lot of his success to the supporting cast around him and he should be able to be gotten for less unless it is truly only about the money for him.  Either way I dont think he should be a 12+ million dollar guy as he is very dependent on the guys around him.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I think Richardson is the type to fall off once he get his big money deal.  I dont think he will disappear,  but I dont think we will see the intensity that we will see this year in a get paid mode.  I know he wants 15,  but unless he is a complete monster you have to attribute a lot of his success to the supporting cast around him and he should be able to be gotten for less unless it is truly only about the money for him.  Either way I dont think he should be a 12+ million dollar guy as he is very dependent on the guys around him.
Will be interesting to see him in Zimmer's D.  Zim talked about this D needing a strong 3 Tech, which has been severely lacking.  I agree that SR might be more about himself than the team, so I am looking forward to watching him here.  Will he see that the sum is greater than the parts?  Will he become a team player in that mode?  He is a phenom talent, but why has he bounced around and had to take a rather low ball deal?  And will 1 year change that?

Jimmy, Zim has definitely said how hard it is to get a CB to play right in his system.  But it's just as hard to find a difference-making 3T.

I have nothing against Waynes; he's a very good CB.  Just a question that if they decide to sign Richardson to a $12m-$15m per year extension, then there won't be enough cap to keep everyone.  

I'm just arguing that with our draft position, it will be easier to find a CB that will be ready in 2019 (and be helpful this year) than finding a 3T.

I trust the team and will be happy with whatever they decide.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
The question I have is: Is Zimmer all that good of a D guru if a good chunk of the $$ and high draft picks are all spent on D?  Could someone else get similar production with such a slant toward D players?
 all the talent in the world is useless without a great scheme and game plan.  I dont know where this player guru shit came from the Zim is supposed to make chicken salad out of chicken shit... IMO his defense is able to do what he wants to do because of the players,  now that doesnt mean that just anybody would be able to get the same or better from a similarly talented roster,  it just means that Zims monster defense needs quality players to make it work.

theres been plenty of proof with other coaches as well,  they have a system and with good players it functions, but when the talent falls away so does their success.  also plenty of coaches that have had a talented pool but cant win shit because their players dont fit what they are doing or they just flat out suck at coaching.

[Image: clap.gif~c200]