Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jags give Bortles 3-year, $54M
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
This is actually a really good deal for both sides. Bortles is hot/cold but he was able to nearly get the job done last year, no reason to completely start over at the position. They likely dabbled in the waters to see what Keenum/Cousins wanted and realized that Bortles for three (more likely two) years was a much better value. Bortles on the other hand gets the next three years to grow on this season and earn a massive extension. 
Jags have a nice team, went farther than I could have imagined last year. So they go the value route, familiar with what they have and they must have decided the open market candidates just weren't that much better? If the options were significantly better in their estimation, I assume they might have waited. 

Not sure what their cap situation is or is going to be, maybe that had a big impact on their decision. 
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
This is actually a really good deal for both sides. Bortles is hot/cold but he was able to nearly get the job done last year, no reason to completely start over at the position. They likely dabbled in the waters to see what Keenum/Cousins wanted and realized that Bortles for three (more likely two) years was a much better value. Bortles on the other hand gets the next three years to grow on this season and earn a massive extension. 
Jags have a nice team, went farther than I could have imagined last year. So they go the value route, familiar with what they have and they must have decided the open market candidates just weren't that much better? If the options were significantly better in their estimation, I assume they might have waited. 

Not sure what their cap situation is or is going to be, maybe that had a big impact on their decision. 
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Sounds familiar

This sets the bar for a guy like Keenum or Bradford.