Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jags give Bortles 3-year, $54M
26.5 guaranteed. If you want to see what Keenum's contract might look like, this is probably it. 

in 2015 Bortles threw for 4400 yards and 35 TDs. With no running game or defense, the Jags went 5-11. 2 years later, the Jags upgrade their defense, draft Fournette, and with a much better supporting cast, Bortles steps back into game manager mode, throws for 800 fewer yards, 14 fewer TDs, but Jags go 10-6 and Bortles gets $54M.

...and my 10 year old can still throw a better spiral than Bortles. So can her brother. 

Thx for posting MB...

My perspective is the Vikings organization follows the market vs sets it, so it's good to see some action elsewhere on QB. 

I wonder if they gave Bortles a signing bonus or a roster bonus payable a few days or more after the new league year begins?

If it is a roster bonus then they have him signed for 3 years and could possibly trade him to another team since he is under contract for the next 3 years.

I doubt it but I suppose it is possible.

thats gotta set a ceiling for bridgewater doesnt it

Going rate for championship game losing QB...I can dig that...

This is just one of those WTF do I know, moments.  I should just body paint, drink beer, cheer and quit trying to figure it out.  

I'm a proud UCF alumnus and I hope the best for any Knight playing, but damn the qbs sure are heart breakers.  Fat  drunk and stupid may be the best existential approach to a appreciating a  UCF qb.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
This is just one of those WTF do I know, moments.  I should just body paint, drink beer, cheer and quit trying to figure it out.  

I'm a proud UCF alumnus and I hope the best for any Knight playing, but damn the qbs sure are heart breakers.  Fat  drunk and stupid may be the best existential approach to a UCF qb.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@BigAl99 said:

I'm a proud UCF alumnus and I hope the best for any Knight playing, but damn the qbs sure are heart breakers.  Fat  drunk and stupid may be the best existential approach to a UCF qb.

BROS, original name for the school was University of Florida Orlando, but the UFO lacked the prestige required for an engineering institution.  What it lacked in dignity would have been made up in "joie de vivre "

This is actually a really good deal for both sides. Bortles is hot/cold but he was able to nearly get the job done last year, no reason to completely start over at the position. They likely dabbled in the waters to see what Keenum/Cousins wanted and realized that Bortles for three (more likely two) years was a much better value. Bortles on the other hand gets the next three years to grow on this season and earn a massive extension. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
This is actually a really good deal for both sides. Bortles is hot/cold but he was able to nearly get the job done last year, no reason to completely start over at the position. They likely dabbled in the waters to see what Keenum/Cousins wanted and realized that Bortles for three (more likely two) years was a much better value. Bortles on the other hand gets the next three years to grow on this season and earn a massive extension. 
Jags have a nice team, went farther than I could have imagined last year. So they go the value route, familiar with what they have and they must have decided the open market candidates just weren't that much better? If the options were significantly better in their estimation, I assume they might have waited. 

Not sure what their cap situation is or is going to be, maybe that had a big impact on their decision.