Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Bowl begs the question
not trying to shit on Case, but Foles IMO is a significantly better arm talent and while not as good at avoiding pressure,  his quick reading and quick release seem to offset that.   

I would put Foles as a bottom 1/3 starting QB (he is in a great offense so that covers warts)  and put Case as a top tier back up ( he can perform pretty nicely in a great situation,  but is not going to ever carry an offense and lacks some physical tools that would put him in the next level.)  neither are worth the money that they are likley to get from a QB starved open market,  but Foles should garner more interest IMO if he becomes available.

I think this question could be answered correctly either way.

There are going to be teams that cover up mediocre play with elite quarterbacks. In a pass friendly league that is always going to be the trump card. But look at how hard it is to find a real franchise guy like Brady, Rodgers, etc.. Of course teams are always on the lookout for them, but in the meantime you need to build up the rest of your core roster to compete in the interim. 

Contrary, building up a strong roster can be just as tough. It takes a combination of strong drafting, smart FA decision making, and good timing to build a deep roster. Instead of finding a superstar at one position (QB), you're collecting talent for 20 other positions across the board. Of course there is a better chance of finding a starting WR in free agency vs. a QB, but building a strong foundation is still relatively difficult. But there is no doubt that core can carry you far. 

What I'm surprised nobody is talking about is how easy Brady and the Pats shredded a Defense in the 2nd Half for the second straight Super Bowl.

With all the rules that aid Offenses and so many pick plays, bunch formations, 4 WR sets and RBs running routes and catching passes like receivers it's going to be very hard to win it all as primarily a Defensive Team.

Beef up the Pass Rush? QBs are getting the ball out faster then ever. Not just the Elite QBs, either. And up tempo forces your Starters to stay on the field and disrupts using a rotation to keep guys fresh.

Load up on DBs? The Eagles best CB couldn't cover Gronk. Ertz destroyed Safeties in both Playoff games. And it's not like the Eagles were wide open. Jeffery and Agholor were out jumping good coverage at times. And both teams had success running the ball when they felt like it.

My major takeaway from the Game is that you need to have an Offense that can put up points. Like, can score 30+ against anyone with the right game plan and execution.

I'd prioritize the off season on upgrading QB (Cousins) and O-Line (Draft). Defense won't jump to a higher level unless you're telling me that Aaron Donald and Deion Sanders are available.

But the Offense can still take another step.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Might it give the Vikings pause to think harder about Keenum? 
I don't think it argues as much for Keenum as it argues less for Cousins. IMO, Keenum still has fundamental flaws in his game that don't sync with the kind of money he's going to command.