Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shurmur to Giants?!
Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
Since he's going, I wish he'd go to Arizona. The Cards have a real good D. No, there's no QB in place but there will be good ones on the market (including some of ours, unfortunately). They have one of the best RBs in the league as well. There's a very good group there to work with. What do the Giants have?? A downward going Eli, a horrible O-line, no RB, and an overpriced no good defense. Best of luck Pat, that's a big job to take on...
Edit: Yes, they have OBJ, Shepard and Evan Engram on O. That is pretty strong but isn't enough because of the rest of the mess.
I think the recently opened Titan job would be pretty attractive to Shurmur,  young up and coming QB,  decent talent around, and about 54 million in cap space with about 45 players signed,   the cards job is a bit more of a mess,  with less cap space to work with and he would be in the NFC west with the up and coming niners and rams,  and the still formidable seahawks.

I cant imagine anybody wanting the NY job,  I mean somebody will want it,  but its hardly the peach that some would think it would be.   Its NY for crying out loud,  the media are jackals,  the expectations are astounding, and your roster is pretty much set and you dont have shit for cap space to work with.
I heard from a source I'll keep to myself that the Giants was the most likely destination. And many of the reasons given were the same as the reasons you're giving for NOT wanting the job. It's NYC. It's high profile. And the media there is no worse there than the media anywhere. Think of the beat writers in Mpls. And I can tell you that they're just as ruthless in Denver. Another reason given is the Mara family. From what I've heard, they're one of the more respected ownership families in the NFL. Another reason is that he'd have the #2 overall pick. He can start fresh with his own QB. 
but he has no cap space to work with to rebuild that mess of an OLine and with nearly 60 players under contract he doesnt have a lot of room to add.  I dont know how much cap could be freed up by getting rid of some of those contracts,  but it just seems like a bit of a hand cuffed situation compared to TN.  I guess time will tell.
The NYG job is a train wreck waiting to happen with all the reasons you listed.  The only thing they got going for them is the Market, if your into that.

I don't know how many years Zimmer has left, but if i was Shurmur I would have stayed here to take over in a few years, but I guess he probably needs to strike while the irons hot.
IIRC Zim and Shurmur aren't but a few years apart in age. 

I imagine that we have lost Shurmur,  you can't expect to keep a guy that takes the worst oline in a franchises history and a year later be in the nfccg with a backup QB and RBs to be around long. 

I wish him luck but only when it doesn't affect our teams chances.

Quote: @"JimmyiunSD" said:
@"Bolstad79" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
Since he's going, I wish he'd go to Arizona. The Cards have a real good D. No, there's no QB in place but there will be good ones on the market (including some of ours, unfortunately). They have one of the best RBs in the league as well. There's a very good group there to work with. What do the Giants have?? A downward going Eli, a horrible O-line, no RB, and an overpriced no good defense. Best of luck Pat, that's a big job to take on...
Edit: Yes, they have OBJ, Shepard and Evan Engram on O. That is pretty strong but isn't enough because of the rest of the mess.
I think the recently opened Titan job would be pretty attractive to Shurmur,  young up and coming QB,  decent talent around, and about 54 million in cap space with about 45 players signed,   the cards job is a bit more of a mess,  with less cap space to work with and he would be in the NFC west with the up and coming niners and rams,  and the still formidable seahawks.

I cant imagine anybody wanting the NY job,  I mean somebody will want it,  but its hardly the peach that some would think it would be.   Its NY for crying out loud,  the media are jackals,  the expectations are astounding, and your roster is pretty much set and you dont have shit for cap space to work with.
I heard from a source I'll keep to myself that the Giants was the most likely destination. And many of the reasons given were the same as the reasons you're giving for NOT wanting the job. It's NYC. It's high profile. And the media there is no worse there than the media anywhere. Think of the beat writers in Mpls. And I can tell you that they're just as ruthless in Denver. Another reason given is the Mara family. From what I've heard, they're one of the more respected ownership families in the NFL. Another reason is that he'd have the #2 overall pick. He can start fresh with his own QB. 
but he has no cap space to work with to rebuild that mess of an OLine and with nearly 60 players under contract he doesnt have a lot of room to add.  I dont know how much cap could be freed up by getting rid of some of those contracts,  but it just seems like a bit of a hand cuffed situation compared to TN.  I guess time will tell.
The NYG job is a train wreck waiting to happen with all the reasons you listed.  The only thing they got going for them is the Market, if your into that.

I don't know how many years Zimmer has left, but if i was Shurmur I would have stayed here to take over in a few years, but I guess he probably needs to strike while the irons hot.
IIRC Zim and Shurmur aren't but a few years apart in age. 

I imagine that we have lost Shurmur,  you can't expect to keep a guy that takes the worst oline in a franchises history and a year later be in the nfccg with a backup QB and RBs to be around long. 

I wish him luck but only when it doesn't affect our teams chances.
It's not exactly the same Oline as last year, but yes I agree he's gone.  And Zims 61 and Pats 52.