Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings high on DT Jaleel Johnson
He sure looked good in the preseason. Speaking of which, remember how god-awful this team was in the preseason? Funny to think about now.

Anyway, I've been thinking that the one real need on this team going into the offseason was 3T, but if JJ is that guy, and it sounds like the Vikings might be suggesting he is, then that changes things quite a bit. I like the idea of drafting a big right tackle and moving Remmers inside. I know some want a left tackle, but I can almost guarantee the Vikings won't do that (again) to Reiff.

^^^This

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I would think if they were that high on him that he would be active this week and give the old man an extra week of rest before the playoffs.
Agree.  He showed some nice potential in preseason and I really thought he was going to get some snaps throughout the season.  Tom Johnson has played very well but still what about the young blood.  TJ is a free agent next year along with Stephen so we do have some decisions to make along the DL.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I would think if they were that high on him that he would be active this week and give the old man an extra week of rest before the playoffs.
Zimmer and the team have put, IMO, too much emphasis on this game against Chicago. Thielen called it a 'playoff game'. Its important, they want that bye week, but Z said winning against the Bears would be like 'winning two games in one'. The quotes from the team on this kind of surprised me a bit. 

If they lose, then what? What's the mood of the team then after placing such importance on this then? They seem strangely desperate for this win against Chicago, I hope that strategy doesn't backfire. 
No coach wants his team looking ahead & laying an egg, let alone against a horrible team and in front of a fired up home crowd that is celebrating an amazing team and season
Zim is keeping them focused at the task at hand, which is maintaining a culture of winning every week

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Zimmer and the team have put, IMO, too much emphasis on this game against Chicago. Thielen called it a 'playoff game'. Its important, they want that bye week, but Z said winning against the Bears would be like 'winning two games in one'. The quotes from the team on this kind of surprised me a bit. 

If they lose, then what? What's the mood of the team then after placing such importance on this then? They seem strangely desperate for this win against Chicago, I hope that strategy doesn't backfire. 
I think they just don't want to over look it in terms of finishing the year on a high note so they don't have 2 weeks to think about a loss.  Personally I don't know if the bye week is a blessing or a curse for a team that is playinG hot.  We have a few players that need some rest,  but some don't always come back focused as they should be 
Yep, Zim just keeping them focused on one game at a time.  I think rest for the injured is in line.  Not as worried about focus with this team as I have been in the past

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
He sure looked good in the preseason. Speaking of which, remember how god-awful this team was in the preseason? Funny to think about now.

Anyway, I've been thinking that the one real need on this team going into the offseason was 3T, but if JJ is that guy, and it sounds like the Vikings might be suggesting he is, then that changes things quite a bit. I like the idea of drafting a big right tackle and moving Remmers inside. I know some want a left tackle, but I can almost guarantee the Vikings won't do that (again) to Reiff.
Yes the handwringing was out in full force after the Seattle game.  Zimmer wasn't ready to be a coach, our defense was awful...

I like a couple things you suggested, Skodin. The OSU kid to me looks similar to Elfl. And they played together! Should have good communication and instantly strengthens the interior, where I feel that Berger and Easton are average and holding Buddy back some.

And yes on a Veteran Corner. It seems like unless Mike is forced to like in Cincinnati a time or two he prefers for Rookie CBs to sit and learn. A Draft pick has little impact on next year's squad. But a solid veteran can learn faster and earn trust faster and play sooner. Especially if he's been in Zimmer's system before.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
I like a couple things you suggested, Skodin. The OSU kid to me looks similar to Elfl. And they played together! Should have good communication and instantly strengthens the interior, where I feel that Berger and Easton are average and holding Buddy back some.

And yes on a Veteran Corner. It seems like unless Mike is forced to like in Cincinnati a time or two he prefers for Rookie CBs to sit and learn. A Draft pick has little impact on next year's squad. But a solid veteran can learn faster and earn trust faster and play sooner. Especially if he's been in Zimmer's system before.
This is exactly why I dig J Joseph as a quality pick up. Strong ability to play outside as our 3rd CB, while Mac Man plays the slot. Joseph has more juice than Newman when he came here, so he will cost a little more but would be a great replacement.  If anything he is consistent and still a playmaker

Another name of interest, one that Zim was high on bringing in here, Morris Claiborne. He ended up going to the Jets to be a starter, havent heard much about him there but I’m sure Zim could salvage his physical abilities on this team, high value production at a cheap cost.  He played very well in Dallas last year, surprisingly they let him move on.