Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings high on DT Jaleel Johnson
According to Darren Wolfson, Vikings 'love him internally'....not getting much of a shot because of Tom Johnson's excellent play. 

Expect his coming out party in 2018. 6'3", 320 lbs. 

STRENGTHS Has good foot quickness and a plus motor. Early bird into the neutral zone off the snap. Accelerates into blockers with forceful punch at point of attack. Maximizes his length. Uses one-arm jab and long-arm push to disengage from blockers and generate a bull rush. Loose hips and flexible upper body are play-making tools. Plays with good energy and gives you what he's got. Won't catch him leaning on blocks for a rest. Hands and feet are in constant concert to improve positioning and defeat run or pass blocks. Rushes with both effort and skill. Always working to the edge of a blocker with quick feet and violent hands. Change-of-direction talent creates difficulties for plodding guards. Had one of his finest games in upset over third-ranked Michigan.

And yet, he has the same number of snaps as I do...weird...

I would think if they were that high on him that he would be active this week and give the old man an extra week of rest before the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure he'll get his opportunity in 2018.  With the status of Johnson, Floyd and Stephens up in the air, Jaleel will be way up there on the depth chart.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I would think if they were that high on him that he would be active this week and give the old man an extra week of rest before the playoffs.
Zimmer and the team have put, IMO, too much emphasis on this game against Chicago. Thielen called it a 'playoff game'. Its important, they want that bye week, but Z said winning against the Bears would be like 'winning two games in one'. The quotes from the team on this kind of surprised me a bit. 

If they lose, then what? What's the mood of the team then after placing such importance on this then? They seem strangely desperate for this win against Chicago, I hope that strategy doesn't backfire. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Zimmer and the team have put, IMO, too much emphasis on this game against Chicago. Thielen called it a 'playoff game'. Its important, they want that bye week, but Z said winning against the Bears would be like 'winning two games in one'. The quotes from the team on this kind of surprised me a bit. 

If they lose, then what? What's the mood of the team then after placing such importance on this then? They seem strangely desperate for this win against Chicago, I hope that strategy doesn't backfire. 
I think they just don't want to over look it in terms of finishing the year on a high note so they don't have 2 weeks to think about a loss.  Personally I don't know if the bye week is a blessing or a curse for a team that is playinG hot.  We have a few players that need some rest,  but some don't always come back focused as they should be 

The bye is huge and I'm less concerned about it opening @ home. USB will be rocking and I can't frigging wait. That said, they can't overlook the Bears at all. I am supportive of the emphasis being placed on it by the players and coaches. 

IF they get a nice lead, then starting sitting the "blue chippers"

Would love to see him develop. He showed nice ability in college and with this team’s ability in the third round, wouldnt be surprised if he ends up being a force. Would love him to learn under both Linval and . . .

what it would cost to get Geno Atkins on this team?  3rd rounder and a conditional in 2019.  Geno loves Zim, and he deserves a shot to finalize his prime career on a winner.  

The only thing this team is lacking is a dominant inside pass rusher (what we saw in Floyd in glimpses). 

You would think Joseph and Atkins, with Stephen and Johnson backing up would be a dominant set of DTs.  Griff, Hunter, 2nd Round, Bower, Weatherly as the DE group. 

Outside of a DT via trade I wouldn’t add anyone else. If Newman does retire, I would like kick the tires on Jonathan Joseph (former Zim disciple). 

Resign our main guys (Case and Teddy for a total of NFL Starter money) and add a OL and DE in the first two rounds of the draft. The RG from OSU, Billy Price could be a great late first round pick, then a Robison replacement in Round 2 (Armstrong from Kansas, Thomas from Miami, or Ejiofor from Wake). 

With $57 million available

Resigns:
Case, Teddy, Sherels, Lamur, Floyd, Kai, McKinnon, Stephen, Harris, Easton, Sirles,
*Everyone is a modest contract except for the Case/Teddy combo platter

Extend:
Barr, Hunter

Retires:
Berger, Newman, Johnson

FA:
Jonathan Joseph (2 year vet deal, 2018 Newman Replacement)

Draft:
Starting RG (2018 Berger Replacement)
Rotational Edge Rusher (2019 Robison Replacement)
Geno Atkins ($10.5 million per)

Would be a great 3 round haul and adding to the foundation of a dominant team for years to come

He needs to pan out. Rick passed on a lot of Offensive Line talent to pick this kid, as he did with Gedeon.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
He needs to pan out. Rick passed on a lot of Offensive Line talent to pick this kid, as he did with Gedeon.
Hey, some are still holding out hope for Treadwell, so we can still be patient with Johnson.