Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'll take it and run like hell with it too...
Including backup LT TJ Clemmings 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Skins finished their game missing 4 of the OLinemen they started with...ouch...
Wow, that sucks for them. Injury bug is huge this year.

Well, except for our starting QB, our other starting QB, and our starting RB, we should be pretty healthy after the bye. I assume Easton will be back after the bye. I forgot all about Sirles, thanks to the rookie Isidora. He has played fine.

Trent Williams - T - Redskins
Redskins LT Trent Williams is dealing with a bone bruise and ligament damage in his right knee.
Williams has been fighting through both injuries most of the season, but he was forced to sit out Week 8 after aggravating the issue the week before. "I've been dealing with it and it just hasn't gotten any better," Williams said. "It's progressively gotten worse." Williams will need surgery at some point, but the plan now is to rest a couple weeks to see if the bruise improves. That suggests Williams will miss at least this week's game against the Seahawks, and the tackle admits there is a "small chance" he will not be able to finish the season. It is bad news for an offensive line as injured as any in the league.
Source: ESPN

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
That was an interesting game. Once again, a team scouts our defense well, and comes out and beats us with its scripted plays early. That was somewhat alarming. Clearly, the Vikings defense plays much better with the lead when teams are forced into more 5 and 7 step drops. 

Hats off to Zimmer and staff for making the adjustments necessary to turn the game around. Thank you also to the Browns, who panicked early and got away from what was working: the quick throws and running the ball with Crowell. Made me think of Denny Green. One of the best personnel/talent coaches we've ever had, but he wasn't a very good field general. He was just so bad at game day decisions, making the adjustment necessary to turn a game around. Thankfully, Zim has this quality.
That is my question to the serious students of the game.  Is the first couple of drives against our D indicative of good film study/scripted plays by opposition?  Or is it more about a learning phase for our D?

You mention the adjustments made by Zimmer.  Are they really adjustments as is something was wrong and we have to fix it?  Or more like now we know and are gonna tear your weakness apart?

Zimmer talked about the 3 sections of the game, 1st Q is about figuring out what they are doing, what works.  2nd and 3rd were about making the adjustments and the 4th is about hammering home what works well.

I think our D last year showed this same trait.  BRob learned the protections in the first couple of drives.  This year many teams have moved effectively early, but struggle as they get into the 2nd and 3rd quarter.  It is almost like our D plays vanilla, not really vanilla, but more concerned about figuring out the offense rather than bringing the hammer early.  I don't understand it all, but it really seems to be working.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
That was an interesting game. Once again, a team scouts our defense well, and comes out and beats us with its scripted plays early. That was somewhat alarming. Clearly, the Vikings defense plays much better with the lead when teams are forced into more 5 and 7 step drops. 

Hats off to Zimmer and staff for making the adjustments necessary to turn the game around. Thank you also to the Browns, who panicked early and got away from what was working: the quick throws and running the ball with Crowell. Made me think of Denny Green. One of the best personnel/talent coaches we've ever had, but he wasn't a very good field general. He was just so bad at game day decisions, making the adjustment necessary to turn a game around. Thankfully, Zim has this quality.
That is my question to the serious students of the game.  Is the first couple of drives against our D indicative of good film study/scripted plays by opposition?  Or is it more about a learning phase for our D?

You mention the adjustments made by Zimmer.  Are they really adjustments as is something was wrong and we have to fix it?  Or more like now we know and are gonna tear your weakness apart?

Zimmer talked about the 3 sections of the game, 1st Q is about figuring out what they are doing, what works.  2nd and 3rd were about making the adjustments and the 4th is about hammering home what works well.

I think our D last year showed this same trait.  BRob learned the protections in the first couple of drives.  This year many teams have moved effectively early, but struggle as they get into the 2nd and 3rd quarter.  It is almost like our D plays vanilla, not really vanilla, but more concerned about figuring out the offense rather than bringing the hammer early.  I don't understand it all, but it really seems to be working.
I do know that many teams use a script for their first few series. Some are really strict about sticking to those scripted plays no matter what. I don't KNOW that this is what is going on, it's just my assumption. Because it seems our defense frequently struggles in the early going, presumably against plays from the script. Interestingly, one game where we didn't struggle early was against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:

I don't know about the other team's scouting of our defense... or our scouting of their offense... but, yes: it has seemed like the one constant of our defense since Zimmer got here... is that we give up a score or 2 early... and then make adjustments.  My thoughts: we are very dependent on our "coaches" (i.e. Zimmer) / scheme.  We do not have the athletes to line up and just play ball; we rely on our schemes to beat teams.  As our athletes get better, I would like to think that our overall defense will be better; but that doesn't mean that our reliance on schemes / coaches won't continue to limit our success on early drives.

Quote: @pumpf said:

I don't know about the other team's scouting of our defense... or our scouting of their offense... but, yes: it has seemed like the one constant of our defense since Zimmer got here... is that we give up a score or 2 early... and then make adjustments.  My thoughts: we are very dependent on our "coaches" (i.e. Zimmer) / scheme.  We do not have the athletes to line up and just play ball; we rely on our schemes to beat teams.  As our athletes get better, I would like to think that our overall defense will be better; but that doesn't mean that our reliance on schemes / coaches won't continue to limit our success on early drives.
That seems a bit simplistic.  All teams are dependent on scheme/film study.  If not, you end up like Frazier. 

I just failed see how you come to the conclusion that "as our athletes get better" as the athletes on D are second to none.  3 defensive ends that are incredible athletes, a mammoth hulk in the middle that plays with the quickness and speed of a 3 tech.  Barr and kendricks are athletes, Barr is a freak.  Rhodes is a superb athlete and shutdown corner.  Big, strong, long and fast.  Harry is a rare blend as well.

I think our scheme is what takes these athletes and makes the D elite. 

IMO, a coach could come out and blitz heavily, throw lots of stuff at the offense in the first drive.  But where would that leave you for the rest of the game.  I think the scripted plays on O are as much about feeling out the defense as they are scoring.  The offensive coaches have a plan to test certain elements of the D, seeing how they react.  Then using that to adjust.

I will take this win for sure.  We did what good teams do, beat bad teams.  The Browns have a legit defense though.