Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugly game- turnovers key again
Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
Outcoached. Period. Got run on by one of the worst rushing teams in the League.  How many LOS pick plays resulted in Lions wide freaking open in the flats? Where the H was the tackling? 

And Shurmer sure humped the bunk today. Down 2 LBs should equal lots of room for the intermediate game. But Rudolph was invisible until the Fourth Quarter. Slants? Screens? Pick plays? 

Nope. Looked like Uncle Norv at OC again.  And no halftime adjustments at all. Combine that with brutal special teams and turnovers and the fact that Detroit simply didn't regress from the Playoff team they were last year and the fact that the game was eminently winnable late in the 4th proves the damn talent is there.

Coaches lost this game.
Agreed. Once again, I thought JBC called a masterful game on offense for the Lions. He exploited our weakness at covering TE's and playing soft zone coverage. Our terrible tackling led to so many first downs after initial contact was made by Vikings' defenders short of the first down marker. Maddening. Not to mention we got gashed by the Lions' anemic running game. Abdulah looked like Earl Cambell the way he was breaking tackles on every run. That being said, we only gave up 14 points and 11 of those were after the 2 unforced fumbles. Despite my criticism of the D, they held the high powered Lion's offense in check. They did enough to win this game. To me the blame falls on the offense once again with questionable play calling, inability to attack the Lions' weakness at LB, and zero adjustments by Shurmur.    

The bad part was this was a winnable game by just eliminating the mistakes.  Keenam missed several over top throws that were open completely.  Defense should have seen that the zebras were letting DBs grab and did likewise enough playing ten yards off your man.   For gawd sakes how many picks bounced off our hands.  McKinnon,s hands looked like troy W was back in there. Winnable