Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mekhi Blackmon Tears ACL.
(07-25-2024, 07:45 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Thought this was interesting (and aggravating). Wasn't clear on who each was, so I looked them up and filled them in

Jonas Stärk@JonasStaerk
The Vikings drafted six CBs since 2020. Two are dead [Jackson and Gladney], one fell unexplainably off after promising rookie season [Dantzler], a 5th rounder [Hand], another 2nd rounder has been injury plagued and underperforming [Booth], a somewhat promising 4th rounder [Evans] and a very promising 3rd rounder, who tears his ACL [Blackmon]

You could go back further to Mike Hughes 2018, 30th overall in round 1, looked good for a month, tore his ACL, was eventually released and is now bouncing around as a backup.

I don't think the team has drafted a genuinely impactful CB since Xavier Rhodes in 2013, 11 years ago. Mackensie Alexander and Trae Waynes were serviceable for a while but nothing special. It's a litany of failure at the position for a variety of reasons.

Stephon Gilmore is available right now.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4063...l-practice

Every year, same thing. Injuries always play a big role in a team's success or lack thereof. But not many fans remember that the following year.

Every year it seems we have been saying draft guys that play in the trenches. Now it is becoming a yearly thing when the draft rolls around which corner should they take, not should they take a corner but which one should they take.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Greylock's post:

Huge bummer. Liked what I saw last year and hope he's able to recover to 100%. Promising young player.

In the preseason games I'll be focused on the CBs who were on the PS last season, Jaylin Williams & AJ Green. Also, the UDFA CB, McGlothern. Green & McGlothern have the length that Flores likes in his CBs. Both are 6'2". Green was drafted by Cleveland in 2020 when Kwesi was working in their front office.

(07-25-2024, 11:33 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: In the preseason games I'll be focused on the CBs who were on the PS last season, Jaylin Williams & AJ Green. Also, the UDFA CB, McGlothern. Green & McGlothern have the length that Flores likes in his CBs. Both are 6'2". Green was drafted by Cleveland in 2020 when Kwesi was working in their front office.

But these guys are all UDFAs....the expectations have to be low to non-existent for these guys. Blackmon was a highly drafted corner, much more athletic ability. Green wasn't drafted, he was a UDFA signed by Cleveland.

If we are counting on Green, Williams and McGlothern, we are in BIG trouble.

They just signed this guy: https://twitter.com/vikingzfanpage/statu...1372055763

(07-25-2024, 11:37 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: But these guys are all UDFAs....the expectations have to be low to non-existent for these guys. Blackmon was a highly drafted corner, much more athletic ability. Green wasn't drafted, he was a UDFA signed by Cleveland.

If we are counting on Green, Williams and McGlothern, we are in BIG trouble.

They just signed this guy: https://twitter.com/vikingzfanpage/statu...1372055763

You do realize that Francis was also signed as an UDFA, right? I’m not counting on any of these 3 to play major minutes. If one of them can fill the dime role, I would consider that a win all things considered. Having been on the team last season provided Green & Williams with experience in the Flores defense which gives them an advantage over any CB that they bring in off the street.

(07-25-2024, 11:33 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: In the preseason games I'll be focused on the CBs who were on the PS last season, Jaylin Williams & AJ Green. Also, the UDFA CB, McGlothern. Green & McGlothern have the length that Flores likes in his CBs. Both are 6'2". Green was drafted by Cleveland in 2020 when Kwesi was working in their front office.

I get the feeling the team and the press are seeing things out of McGlothern.   Lot of comments flying around about his size /speed/potential.

(07-25-2024, 12:06 PM)Knucklehead Wrote: You do realize that Francis was also signed as an UDFA, right? I’m not counting on any of these 3 to play major minutes. If one of them can fill the dime role, I would consider that a win all things considered. Having been on the team last season provided Green & Williams with experience in the Flores defense which gives them an advantage over any CB that they bring in off the street.

Yes, I know that this latest signing is just a camp guy. He's never played a snap in the NFL. 

https://twitter.com/DustBaker/status/181...5156990296