Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins exit details
Florio and his wishful thinking won't quit. I doubt there will be any punishment whatsoever.

It's over so fuck Kirk and his guaranteed contract.  He was never going to sign a hometown discount contract with the Vikings or a contract less than 3 years in length so see ya.  Years ago when free agency was starting teams would have potential signees visit the team, show them around take them to dinner and decide if a contract was worth offering.  In todays NFL the minute free agency opens, signings happen so fast its hard to keep track.  The money flows like bourbon on a Friday night so to say things don't happen before hand (tampering) is being naive about the process.  Happens every year with every team, nothing will happen to the Falcons and if it does maybe a they get a letter from the league like every team gets when screwed by the refs on any given Sunday.  This time it will be say your sorry and promise not to do it in the future.

The Dolphins tried to tamper and get a franchise QB and possibly a coach who was retiring. They failed, yet the Commissioner didn’t exactly go easy on them:

“The Dolphins will forfeit the club’s first-round selection in the 2023 NFL draft and third-round selection in the 2024 NFL Draft.
Mr. Ross is suspended through October 17, 2022. During this period, he may not be present at the Dolphins’ facility and may not represent the club at any team or NFL event. He may not attend any League meeting prior to the Annual Meeting in 2023, is removed from all League committees indefinitely, and fined $1.5 million.
Mr. Bruce Beal, Dolphins’ Vice Chairman/Limited Partner, may not attend any League meeting for the remainder of the 2022 season and is fined $500,000”

Goodall considered it an attack on the integrity of the game and unprecedented. No team lost anything through this, yet the price paid was at least in my opinion, severe.

Whether Cousins wanted XYZ contract or a change matters not at all. It’s completely and totally irrelevant. A violation is a violation - period. Cousins admitted to at least one violation and potentially another earlier one from a player possibly acting as a representative of the team. So we know for certain tampering on at least the level of contact with the trainer happened and we know how Goodall has responded previously to tampering.

To claim there’s no loss is illogical. This is very very simple for Goodall from a rules standpoint. Did a team break the tampering rule? Yes (allegedly). Did said player that was tampered with leave the team to go to the team that did the (alleged) tampering? Yes. That’s literally all Goodall needs to know about and will care about. Whatever Cousins wanted isn’t even material to this.

So if it is shown they did indeed “tamper”, which Kirk basically admitted during his presser, what kind of punishment will they face? A precedent has already been set with teams involved in unsuccessful tampering. The question is, will Goodall come down harder on a team that tampered and was able to obtain the player from the other club?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Havoc's post:

(04-12-2024, 02:09 PM)Havoc Wrote: The Dolphins tried to tamper and get a franchise QB and possibly a coach who was retiring. They failed, yet the Commissioner didn’t exactly go easy on them:

“The Dolphins will forfeit the club’s first-round selection in the 2023 NFL draft and third-round selection in the 2024 NFL Draft.
Mr. Ross is suspended through October 17, 2022. During this period, he may not be present at the Dolphins’ facility and may not represent the club at any team or NFL event. He may not attend any League meeting prior to the Annual Meeting in 2023, is removed from all League committees indefinitely, and fined $1.5 million.
Mr. Bruce Beal, Dolphins’ Vice Chairman/Limited Partner, may not attend any League meeting for the remainder of the 2022 season and is fined $500,000”

Goodall considered it an attack on the integrity of the game and unprecedented. No team lost anything through this, yet the price paid was at least in my opinion, severe.

Whether Cousins wanted XYZ contract or a change matters not at all. It’s completely and totally irrelevant. A violation is a violation - period. Cousins admitted to at least one violation and potentially another earlier one from a player possibly acting as a representative of the team. So we know for certain tampering on at least the level of contact with the trainer happened and we know how Goodall has responded previously to tampering.

To claim there’s no loss is illogical.  This is very very simple for Goodall from a rules standpoint. Did a team break the tampering rule? Yes (allegedly). Did said player that was tampered with leave the team to go to the team that did the (alleged) tampering? Yes. That’s literally all Goodall needs to know about and will care about. Whatever Cousins wanted isn’t even material to this.

So if it is shown they did indeed “tamper”, which Kirk basically admitted during his presser, what kind of punishment will they face? A precedent has already been set with teams involved in unsuccessful tampering. The question is, will Goodall come down harder on a team that tampered and was able to obtain the player from the other club?

I don’t think this is a one to one.  In the Dolphins case, it was triggered by Flores’s lawsuit.  Especially since it stands out as so much more punitive than all the other cases, I don’t think you can rule out that this instance is “tampering” but also a way of punishing all the other allegations in the Flores lawsuit without admitting to the NFL being racist or admitting to tanking.  Our case is after all the reports of the Vikings failing to provide Cousins a market offer and wishing him well in finding a better offer in free agency, which he would have done anyway.

(04-12-2024, 03:54 PM)medaille Wrote: I don’t think this is a one to one.  In the Dolphins case, it was triggered by Flores’s lawsuit.  Especially since it stands out as so much more punitive than all the other cases, I don’t think you can rule out that this instance is “tampering” but also a way of punishing all the other allegations in the Flores lawsuit without admitting to the NFL being racist or admitting to tanking.  Our case is after all the reports of the Vikings failing to provide Cousins a market offer and wishing him well in finding a better offer in free agency, which he would have done anyway.

No it's not a one to one. What the Dolphins did was much worse and it went on over the course of a few seasons. But they were severely punished, forced to give up 1st and 3rd round draft picks.

The one last year between the Eagles and the Cards might be more similar. Like the Cousins issue, it was about a single impermissible communication. The NFL forced the Eagles and Cards to swap 3rd round picks, but it was a 28 slot jump for the Cards. The NFL is taking these things more seriously. 

The 11 and 8 swap is a fantasy. I think it's unlikely the Vikings get anything. But ESPN confirmed the NFL is indeed investigating it and I could see them taking a pick away from the Falcons.

This whole thread is intriguing...from "get over it" to "we could hit the jackpot if they penalize Atlanta.
So many pros and cons and viewpoints...my head is spinning.
I decided that I am ducking my head under the water until April 25th, and then I'll come up for air...all this conjecturing and theorizing has me just shaking my head.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

(04-15-2024, 05:26 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: This whole thread is intriguing...from "get over it" to "we could hit the jackpot if they penalize Atlanta. 
So many pros and cons and viewpoints...my head is spinning.
I decided that I am ducking my head under the water until April 25th, and then I'll come up for air...all this conjecturing and theorizing has me just shaking my head.

Thats not a bad idea...

Shit done gonna get crazy over the next 10 days...

(04-15-2024, 07:17 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Thats not a bad idea...

Shit done gonna get crazy over the next 10 days...

Amen to that.

For several years, we spent every offseason with a hundred "KIRK BEING TRADED TO..." bulls**t every 5 seconds, along with the billion hater threads from dinks that don't understand team sports and math. It was ridiculous. As much as I like Kirk, I was slightly relieved that we'd have a new QB and new concerns going into this season...

...or, so I thought.

I have news apps on my phone and PC that take from a ton of different sources, just like many of you do. If you've got "Minnesota Vikings" as a regular input, you know that the rumors regarding potential draft day swaps/punishment/rewards have been as common as the "trade up? JJM? Penix?" etc etc etc that's been bubbling for weeks. Add that to speculation about trading Jefferson, and...my head hurts.

My one selfish wish for this year is that Darnold or whomever we draft absolutely claims the job, convinces JJ to invest himself in the team's future, and we can enjoy a few offseasons WITHOUT QB BULLS**T for a change.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!
[-] The following 2 users Like Zanary's post: