Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins exit details
Not buying the way Breer sets this up as though everything just suddenly happened on Monday morning, especially when the smoke signals out of the combine moved the Kirk odds in the betting markets so hard, but he has to protect his sources who already are in hot water over tampering since Kirk opened his yap at the introductory presser lol.   In fact this might be part of the campaign out of Atlanta to get that rap dismissed.  Breer does get a lot of inside info here regardless, though the nauseating fawning over Kirk's agent has got to be the price he paid for it lol.   I would not want Breer's job but I appreciate his dedication.

I speculated before he signed with Atlanta that the sticking point was the Vikings demanding the flexibility to move off of him in 2025 and he wasn't going to accept that bridge role, and that is pretty much the reality laid out in this article.   Whether you like his exit or not it's clear the Vikings have a vision for the future and are sticking to their guns.  We'll see if it works out.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/18/inside...ta-falcons

Water under the bridge. We've got The Darnold now, darn it! Let the winning begin. 

[Image: we-winnin-gucci-mane.png]

That was my first thought after reading it...  Kirk, his agent, and the Falcons are trying to put it out there that there was no tampering.  Not buying it.

We'll see what comes of the league's investigation.  But to your other point, yep.  Pretty much what people were speculating the hang up was and why a contract extension didn't happen last year or this offseason.

They tampered and are now using a useful idiot in the press to try and hide it. It seemed pretty obvious there was a distinct switch a week or two out. Suddenly they were looking at schools and houses - then they weren’t. Atlanta was suddenly talked about as a foregone conclusion - it became pretty much flagrant. The Falcons need to pay and pay dearly. 1st round pick to the Vikings at a minimum. He’s a franchise QB. What’s to stop teams from doing whatever they please in the future? A significant precedent needs to be set in my opinion. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Water under the bridge. We've got The Darnold now, darn it! Let the winning begin. 

Somebody's hittin' the bong for breakfast.  :p

Again...and again: Kirk feels like he's got 3-4 good years in the tank, the Vikings are trying to get younger, the impasse was inevitable.

That's it. The Falcons are pretty young and can benefit from a proven veteran, the Vikings are looking to complete a reboot.

The roads diverged. I kinda hate it, but I'll be cheering hard for Sam or whoever is under center for us going forward.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:

Somebody's hittin' the bong for breakfast.  :p
I wish....

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
They tampered and are now using a useful idiot in the press to try and hide it. It seemed pretty obvious there was a distinct switch a week or two out. Suddenly they were looking at schools and houses - then they weren’t. Atlanta was suddenly talked about as a foregone conclusion - it became pretty much flagrant. The Falcons need to pay and pay dearly. 1st round pick to the Vikings at a minimum. He’s a franchise QB. What’s to stop teams from doing whatever they please in the future? A significant precedent needs to be set in my opinion. 
Nothing was going to change the fact that Cousins wasn’t
signing here at a well below market price and terms.  At some point Cousins was going to negotiate
with all his potential suiters and pick the best option for him.  The only thing that changed from the
tampering was that he signed his contract with the Falcons sooner.  How do you come to the conclusion that the Vikings
were injured and deserve compensation?  We
were not injured in any way.

Tampering, as most people define it (negotiating with a free
agent after the Super Bowl, but before the official opening of the legal tampering
window) hurts no one and should not be an offense, and while the player can’t
talk to the teams, the agents can, so a ban on tampering is doing nothing but
forcing the agents to be the middle-man in the negotiations.

Tampering should be redefined to only include negotiating
with players that are obligated to play future games under their current
contract or they should redefine the legal tampering window to be much larger
(Like starts the day after the SB).