Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you give a 2nd rounder for Fields?
Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Crazy thing is...  Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Las Vegas were all predicted to be the top landing spots for Fields...  well Atlanta signed Cousins, Pittsburgh signed Wilson, and Las Vegas signed Minshew.

The Vikings might be the most likely trade partner for Fields now that all those other teams acquired veteran QBs.  Crazy.

If we're talking a 4th round pick or later, I'd see what he could do.  He's not a flat out bust like Zach Wilson, but I don't know if Fields is a strong enough passer to fit O'Connell's offense.  At this point, the Vikings need to be open-minded about the QB position for 2024.
We got a preview last year with what KOC can do with a run first QB in Dobbs,   and it wasn't much.   I would have as much hope for Wilson at what should be a much lower price tag.

Quote: i@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
I'm not sure if the real question is will they sell tix or not.

I think the question is more of who the hell is going to get excited about a team qb'd by a gordon minshew or a washed-up Wilson?

Not me - I went to maybe 1 home game after Cousins left the building. That kind of fan malaise will eventually have an impact. 

I would be more interested in seeing what our O would look like with a revamped interior OL and a couple of Dlinemen that can stuff the run as well as push the pocket on pass plays.  We have plenty of tape on what our team looks like the way it has been built for the last 6 years,  good enough but not good enough.  We are not 1 QB away as was thought to be the case when they signed Cousins,  infact I would say we are further from the elite in the NFC now than we were then given the weaknesses on both sides of the ball.  not sure how much more proof people need than the last 6 years of futility. 

think about it we were one game away from the superbowl,  the consensus among most fans was it was the QB that was holding us back and Cousins would bridge that gap... since then 1 damn playoff win in 6 years,  depleted roster,  and we are arguing over running that back with a guy coming back from a lower body injury that will leave him less mobile (if thats even possible),  another year older,  and typing up what will end up being a very large chunk of cap space either this year,  or for the next several years once again,  including once hes gone most likely.

Damn,  at what point do you just rip off that band aid?

I see you keep repeating this mantra, but I definitely don’t remember a lot of people  claiming we were one QB away. Maybe some pundits, Spielman perhaps, but definitely no consensus. 

I think this is a nice talking point with a splash of cognitive dissonance. You cannot compete for a championship if you draft the way the Vikings have the past five years prior to 2023. How many high picks on corners yielded literally nothing? 

This is how you don’t go anywhere. It has nothing to do with the top 5 to 10 QB on your team or his contract. If anything he covered up a lot of weaknesses. 

Jeff Gladney, Cam Dantzler, Mike Hughes, Chazz Surratt, Lewis Cine, Andrew Booth, Brian Asomoah, Patrick Jones. 

Taking away last year since its so recent and guys deserve a little time to develop - this is every defensive player we’ve taken in rounds 1-3 since 2018. It seems pretty obvious, at least to me, where our weakness have been and it sure as hell hasn’t been Kirk Cousins. 

If they hit on even two of those guys, it’s a huge difference. 8 of 18 picks to defense and very little to show for it. Its been absolutely abysmal. I don’t care how good a QB is, thats a tough hill to overcome. 

THIS!!! THIS is why we Viking fans can’t have pretty things!!!

As for a 2nd rounder for Fields? No not a 2nd rounder - even though we’ll very likely waste it. The teams wanting Fields all signed guys. His draft retirn value has gone way down. I’d give a 4th, mostly because we have an extra and we’ll make a garbage pick anyway. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Crazy thing is...  Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Las Vegas were all predicted to be the top landing spots for Fields...  well Atlanta signed Cousins, Pittsburgh signed Wilson, and Las Vegas signed Minshew.

The Vikings might be the most likely trade partner for Fields now that all those other teams acquired veteran QBs.  Crazy.

If we're talking a 4th round pick or later, I'd see what he could do.  He's not a flat out bust like Zach Wilson, but I don't know if Fields is a strong enough passer to fit O'Connell's offense.  At this point, the Vikings need to be open-minded about the QB position for 2024.
There's no market for Fields for a reason.  He can't process at NFL speed in the passing game.  He's a glorified running back making a quarterback salary.  

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

There's no market for Fields for a reason.  He can't process at NFL speed in the passing game.  He's a glorified running back making a quarterback salary.  
I mentioned this in some other thread a bit ago: guys are WIDE open and he doesn't see them. Doesn't even look for them. He's f-ing useless. The NFL GMs are speaking with their silence and indifference.