Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
49ers name Darnold #2, pursuing options with Lance
Quote: @savannahskol said:
@MaroonBells said:
@1VikesFan said:
@supafreak84 said:
Lance to Dallas for a 4th round pick
One of Jerry's boys now. Honestly, Niners got more than I thought they'd get.
A little more than I thought as well. But maybe we shouldn't be surprised. It's a QB...on a rookie contract...who was once a top 5 pick. That's worth something. 

Didn't make sense for the Vikings because of Jaren Hall and the fact that the Vikings will likely target a QB in next year's draft. The Cowboys had career QB3 Will Grier as their 3rd QB. That's a little different. 
I don't get it (Vikes not pursuing Lance)...if in fact,  the NFL is moving towards multi-dimensional  QBs.  (like Lamar J, J. Love, Patrick M, Josh A, Trevor L, Anthony R, etc). 

Jaren Hall,  25 yo 6'0, 207lbs, 9 1/2" hands,  production score 74, athleticism score 82, total score 76.  Position rank in draft, 8th. 
Trey Lance, 23 yo 6'4 224lbs,  9 1/8 hands,  production score 83, athleticism score 87, total score 88.  Position rank in draft, 3rd.  

9'ers started him beginning of last year, with an otherwise loaded roster, before his injury.  

IMO, Serious mistake not getting him on the cheap.  Hope I'm wrong. 
Not sure I'd call it a serious mistake but after I posted in this thread about doing at most a 6th round pick, I started thinking more about it. Then when I saw Dallas gave up a 4th I thought some more. He might be a total bust-- odds are he is I suppose-- but the Vikings have had such a hard time finding a young QB for so long that I think if news came out that the Vikings traded their 4th for him, I would have been excited and not appalled.
It'll be interesting to see if Lance can make anything of himself in Dallas or beyond. Bummer for him that Kellen Moore left for LAC this past offseason though.

Quote: @savannahskol said:
@MaroonBells said:
@1VikesFan said:
@supafreak84 said:
A little more than I thought as well. But maybe we shouldn't be surprised. It's a QB...on a rookie contract...who was once a top 5 pick. That's worth something. 

Didn't make sense for the Vikings because of Jaren Hall and the fact that the Vikings will likely target a QB in next year's draft. The Cowboys had career QB3 Will Grier as their 3rd QB. That's a little different. 
I don't get it (Vikes not pursuing Lance)...if in fact,  the NFL is moving towards multi-dimensional  QBs.  (like Lamar J, J. Love, Patrick M, Josh A, Trevor L, Anthony R, etc). 

Jaren Hall,  25 yo 6'0, 207lbs, 9 1/2" hands,  production score 74, athleticism score 82, total score 76.  Position rank in draft, 8th. 
Trey Lance, 23 yo 6'4 224lbs,  9 1/8 hands,  production score 83, athleticism score 87, total score 88.  Position rank in draft, 3rd.  

9'ers started him beginning of last year, with an otherwise loaded roster, before his injury.  

All of those draft metrics and position ranks are meaningless. You can either play in the NFL or you can't. And those metrics will have nothing to do with it.

The only metric that matters is that this was Lance's 3rd season. He was completely healthy and one of the NFL's best QB coaches decided he wasn't good enough to be a backup. And considering what the 49ers paid for him, the incentive to play him was high. That tells you a lot. 

Hall is a rookie. He may never amount to anything, but it's too early to toss him aside. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@savannahskol said:
@MaroonBells said:
@1VikesFan said:
@supafreak84 said:

All of those draft metrics and position ranks are meaningless. You can either play in the NFL or you can't. And those metrics will have nothing to do with it.

The only metric that matters is that this was Lance's 3rd season. He was completely healthy and one of the NFL's best QB coaches decided he wasn't good enough to be a backup. And considering what the 49ers paid for him, the incentive to play him was high. That tells you a lot. 

Hall is a rookie. He may never amount to anything, but it's too early to toss him aside. 

ITs solid logic @MB...

But I'm with Savvie on this one...I would have taken a 4th rd flyer on the kid. 

My logic isnt logical though, its homerism and gut feel. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@savannahskol said:
@MaroonBells said:
@1VikesFan said:
@supafreak84 said:

ITs solid logic @MB...

But I'm with Savvie on this one...I would have taken a 4th rd flyer on the kid. 

My logic isnt logical though, its homerism and gut feel. 
And I think the Vikings likely would've taken that flyer if they didn't just draft Hall. The Vikings were not involved in the Lance talks for one reason only: Jaren Hall. 

Its just so easy to root against this organization:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/inside-jerrys...e=substack&utm_campaign=post_embed&utm_medium=web

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@savannahskol said:
@MaroonBells said:
@1VikesFan said:
@supafreak84 said:

I’m not quite so absolutist, but I definitely think that
there’s just some people out there who’s personalities are so fucked that it’s
not worth investing roster spots in them. 
QBs are so valuable that they are given every chance to succeed.  If a team is cutting bait early, those are
massive red flags.  Like the conversation
with Mond.  Huge red flags that he’s out of
two teams already.  Obviously, if Purdy had
a couple of seasons under his belt and had established himself as good, and
they were just trading Lance to recoup value that’s a different thing.
I don’t think you should just be taking flyers on guys who have
big red flags unless you have a solid plan and reason to believe that you can
correct those red flags.  I think Reagor
is potentially an example of that. 
Historically, Reagor lots of problems, but then you have perhaps the
best WR coach in the league, and you’re thinking to yourself, maybe he can
convert that athleticism into production even though most other teams wouldn’t
be able to.

Jerry Jones is an all-day sucker.

Quote: @medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@savannahskol said:
@MaroonBells said:
@1VikesFan said:
@supafreak84 said:

I’m not quite so absolutist, but I definitely think that
there’s just some people out there who’s personalities are so fucked that it’s
not worth investing roster spots in them. 
QBs are so valuable that they are given every chance to succeed.  If a team is cutting bait early, those are
massive red flags.  Like the conversation
with Mond.  Huge red flags that he’s out of
two teams already.  Obviously, if Purdy had
a couple of seasons under his belt and had established himself as good, and
they were just trading Lance to recoup value that’s a different thing.
I don’t think you should just be taking flyers on guys who have
big red flags unless you have a solid plan and reason to believe that you can
correct those red flags.  I think Reagor
is potentially an example of that. 
Historically, Reagor lots of problems, but then you have perhaps the
best WR coach in the league, and you’re thinking to yourself, maybe he can
convert that athleticism into production even though most other teams wouldn’t
be able to.

i agree,  even at the reduced cost,  it doesnt feel right.  I loved the athleticism coming out of ND,  but I never saw an NFL QB when I watched his ( VERY LIMITED ) tape,  so basically his resume sucked,  the niners way over drafted him,  he should have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder if any common sense would have been applied to the situation, so I ask those that think the Vikes should have been in on this deal,  if he had been take mid to late day 2 like IMO he should have been,  would you have still been willling to offer up a 4th rounder in this situation, knowing that the team that mortgaged their future on him gave him 3 years and moved on without a confirmed future #1 ( sorry 1 good rookie season from Purdy doesnt have me using the term franchise yet )  I say a late 6th or even 7th rounder tops,  all the kid has going IMO is athleticism and hell,  tennis players have that,  but that doesnt mean they will make a good NFL QB.