Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YouTube TV and NFL Sunday ticket
Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

It's really getting out of reach with the inflation economy, not to mention the black market games that will be playing along side their gratuitous pay platform. NFL is blatantly showing its ugly end game. It will be the NBA/MLB in short order where nobody gives a F. Killing the golden goose is so avoidable.  
Never happen. If you personally don't like the price, as a consumer you have the right to not pay it. The NFL is BIG entertainment, the number one watched sport in the United States. Google is paying $2 billion a year for the rights for NFL Sunday Ticket. Raging against the NFL machine isn't going to change anything.
Never is a a ballsy prediction. ESPN sinking, Bally sports bankrupt, believe it or not there is a limit to discretionary spending in America. Key demo is trending away from football in general. Where that leads in 20 years who knows. Not predicting the end, but could look very different. 

ESPN has been sinking for years, doesn't have to do with football. Bally Sports demise mostly came from the MLB side, again nothing to do with the NFL. People always have to choose wisely with their discretionary income, my point is you can choose to cut elsewhere if you want The Ticket and can't afford it. Its all about choices. Do I think the NFL is greedy? For sure. But what major corporation isn't? 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

It's really getting out of reach with the inflation economy, not to mention the black market games that will be playing along side their gratuitous pay platform. NFL is blatantly showing its ugly end game. It will be the NBA/MLB in short order where nobody gives a F. Killing the golden goose is so avoidable.  
Never happen. If you personally don't like the price, as a consumer you have the right to not pay it. The NFL is BIG entertainment, the number one watched sport in the United States. Google is paying $2 billion a year for the rights for NFL Sunday Ticket. Raging against the NFL machine isn't going to change anything.
Never is a a ballsy prediction. ESPN sinking, Bally sports bankrupt, believe it or not there is a limit to discretionary spending in America. Key demo is trending away from football in general. Where that leads in 20 years who knows. Not predicting the end, but could look very different. 

ESPN has been sinking for years, doesn't have to do with football. Bally Sports demise mostly came from the MLB side, again nothing to do with the NFL. People always have to choose wisely with their discretionary income, my point is you can choose to cut elsewhere if you want The Ticket and can't afford it. Its all about choices. Do I think the NFL is greedy? For sure. But what major corporation isn't? 
Bally was also highly attached to NBA and NHL, but agree that espn has been sinking slowly for a long time. Why? A lot of reasons, but the issue is how many millenials are buying into this new NFL paradigm? The cord cutters have done so while also generally cutting out televised sports as a whole unless it's pirated or in a social gatherings. 

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

American football is on a colision course with history. Theres all kinds of parents not letting their kids play football due to the injuries. Soccer on the other hand. Holy crap. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

American football is on a colision course with history. Theres all kinds of parents not letting their kids play football due to the injuries. Soccer on the other hand. Holy crap. 
Agree, and appreciate the pun, but it will probably be a thousand years before the NFL runs out of players to keep us entertained and paying for their product. 

From the Google: There are 1,093,234 high school football players in the United States, and 6.5% of those high school players (or 71,060) will play in college. The drop off from college to the pros is even more dramatic: only 1.2% college-level players will get drafted to the NFL.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Agree, and appreciate the pun, but it will probably be a thousand years before the NFL runs out of players to keep us entertained and paying for their product. 

From the Google: There are 1,093,234 high school football players in the United States, and 6.5% of those high school players (or 71,060) will play in college. The drop off from college to the pros is even more dramatic: only 1.2% college-level players will get drafted to the NFL.

Agree, there will likely be lots of players, the question is if the sport its self is deemed to dangerous will people want to watch it 20-30 years from now if they didn't grow up playing it?
Look at hunting/gun safety.  The numbers have been sliding further and faster then ever.  Eventually there will be so few hunters and kids interested in guns (school shootings play a major factor in it) that there will be critical mass to repeal the 2nd amendment.  I'm not sure if it happens in my lifetime or not?  But its happening at some point. 

I'm not trying to make this a political post.  Just an observation that the kids of today, will dictate the rules of tomorrow. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Agree, there will likely be lots of players, the question is if the sport its self is deemed to dangerous will people want to watch it 20-30 years from now if they didn't grow up playing it?
Look at hunting/gun safety.  The numbers have been sliding further and faster then ever.  Eventually there will be so few hunters and kids interested in guns (school shootings play a major factor in it) that there will be critical mass to repeal the 2nd amendment.  I'm not sure if it happens in my lifetime or not?  But its happening at some point. 

I'm not trying to make this a political post.  Just an observation that the kids of today, will dictate the rules of tomorrow
Its not the kids, its the PARENTS of today that are ruining the kids of tomorrow. But that's another topic. 

There will never be 'critical mass' to repeal the 2nd amendment, that's just fear mongering. Yeah, all of these school shootings have really shot forward gun reform (eye roll). The gun lobby is massive, that won't change and that's where the rubber meets the road. And as long as there is low income demographics in this country, which continue to have a huge disparity between the haves or have nots, there will always be professional sports. Its a way out. The NFL isn't going anywhere. There's way too much money funneling into college and professional football.

I don’t think football is going anywhere.  I think as long as a good athlete can get
into the sport and make millions of dollars, there will be a steady supply of
athletes, and I think a very solid chunk of people who like watching football
didn’t play it in a meaningful way.  I
think it’s kind of akin to “Why would people who were never in the military want
to play war video games or watch war movies?” and people just do.  I also think they could water down the contact
and hitting quite a bit before it became unwatchable.  I think football hits some primal part of the
brain that likes being chased and chasing. 
We like the strategy, the planning, the plays.  The duration between plays is good.  You get a moment of intensity followed by a
period of resting, not unlike a slot machine.