Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Shelley to Raiders
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"kmillard" said:
Probably wanted to save room for that 1st round cornerback that is coming in a month.
Its spelled Q U A R T E R B A C K,  dont feel bad,  its an easy mistake.  :p
Are we talking about the same team? This org thinks CBs are the cornerstone of the franchise.

Shelly played fairly well last season, sounds like the team offered him only $1.2M. He’s not a good run defender though, so probably not a good fit for Flore’s D…

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
Shelly played fairly well last season, sounds like the team offered him only $1.2M. He’s not a good run defender though, so probably not a good fit for Flore’s D…
It's probably true that Flores wasn't as excited about Shelley as all of us were. It's possible the team is counting on Booth being the outside corner opposite Murphy. The best corner I watched last year was Akayleb Evans, so it's possible they like him for a starting role too.

All of this is possible, but still, they can't spend another half mill to secure a player who, at worst, gives them starting experience and quality depth?

One of the above goes down, I think we'd all feel confident seeing Shelley come in. Right now, there's nobody, so unless we bring in another free agent CB, we have to draft one fairly high. More than anything, that's what I wanted to avoid. 

Cine will be a big winner in having Flores as D-coordinator.

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
leave it to the Vikings to be looking for a run defender first when evaluating CBs for a pass first league,  yes its part of the game still,  but considering the coverage skills ( or lack thereof) from the rest of our DB room the last few years,  Shelly was a bit of fresh air when watching our defense last year.

I liked the Duke.  Sorry to see him go.  I don't really have a sense right now that this front office knows what it's doing.

After watching Shelley play this season, and ;looking at the roster, this move of letting him walk  doesn't make sense to me, at all.

That Chicago cut him is also strange.

Maybe it's not his play that caused the Bears and Vikings to say "no thanks"

Quote: @"minny65" said:
waiting on the specifics of the Shelley contract with the Raiders.   Checking Spotrac which is usually on top of the specifics.  So far, no numbers but I just read somewhere else that it was a one-year deal which sucks because he wasn't looking for a LT deal if true.

1 year deal:  

Duke Shelley signed a 1 year, $1,300,000 contract with the Las Vegas Raiders, including a $125,000 signing bonus, $500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,300,000. In 2023, Shelley will earn a base salary of $1,080,000, a signing bonus of $125,000 and a workout bonus of $44,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,285,000 and a dead cap value of $500,000.

I would have wanted him back for that!

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"minny65" said:
waiting on the specifics of the Shelley contract with the Raiders.   Checking Spotrac which is usually on top of the specifics.  So far, no numbers but I just read somewhere else that it was a one-year deal which sucks because he wasn't looking for a LT deal if true.

1 year deal:  

Duke Shelley signed a 1 year, $1,300,000 contract with the Las Vegas Raiders, including a $125,000 signing bonus, $500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,300,000. In 2023, Shelley will earn a base salary of $1,080,000, a signing bonus of $125,000 and a workout bonus of $44,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,285,000 and a dead cap value of $500,000.

I would have wanted him back for that!
Not sure why the Vikings thought Shelley wasn't worth $1.3M. I can see the argument that says he's a practice squad player who came in and played out of his mind--it can't continue. OK, but there are two dozen corners in the NFL playing backup roles making two and three times that. 

And what if last year was no fluke? What if he goes on to be Antoine Winfield? Seems 1.3 is a pretty low cost way to find out. 

Put this firmly in the questionable category for KAM.  As big of a need that we have at CB,  letting one of the few bright spots we had on D last year walk for peanuts may end up looking pretty foolish.