Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Shelley to Raiders

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
https://twitter.com/SK_NFL/status/163894...9uqpjIMLpA&s=19
Damn, I wonder about the contract he got.  I would have liked to have him back.  

It was a somewhat small sample size, but Shelley was legitimately a lockdown corner for the Vikings down the stretch. Pro Football Focus credited him with ten pass breakups and just 20 completions allowed on 41 targets in his coverage, good for a passer rating of 57.9 on those throws. In his return to Chicago in the regular season finale, Shelley recorded his first career interception.
Removing any snap minimums, Shelley was PFF's eighth-highest-graded cornerback in the league, with an 81.5 grade on 398 defensive snaps. He also got the start in the Vikings' playoff game against the Giants and played well.
This has a chance to be a steal of a pickup for the Raiders. Shelley only has one half-season of great play, but his poor numbers in Chicago were likely because he was playing out of position. If he gets an opportunity for major playing time on the outside with Las Vegas, he could continue to shine.
Shelley quickly became a fan favorite in Minnesota, so Vikings fans won't be thrilled by this news. It'll be interesting to see the details on his contract with the Raiders.

Damn...that one hurts. 

The Duke, say it isn't so.  Say it isn't so!!!

I have a feeling the Raiders paid closer to the "top 5 graded CB" narrative than "practice squad player made good." I hope I'm right, because if they got him for cheap, it's time for pitch forks. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I have a feeling the Raiders paid closer to the "top 5 graded CB" narrative than "practice squad player made good." I hope I'm right, because if they got him for cheap, it's time for pitch forks. 
I agree if they got him for cheap there was no reason not to resign him.  Wish he would have stayed with the team that plucked him off a practice squad and gave him a chance.  

This looks like corner now in the first round.

Honestly, would have been fine keeping him but I think his play was somewhat overblown. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Honestly, would have been fine keeping him but I think his play was somewhat overblown. 
Very possible in the shithole that was the _onatell scheme last year.  Anyone that was within 10 yards of the WR stuck out.  

Yeah hopefully he got a big payday, because if the team is signing Ham (I like Ham), punt returners, backup LBs while letting a solid CB walk, it isn't a good sign.

I keep thinking it's completely possible Flores wasn't as enamored with him as many fans are. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Sure, sample size was small, but the kid proved he could play. And he did it against some pretty good receivers too. A little overhyped? OK, probably. But for a team who needed a corner, and has spent big-time draft capital on the likes of Booth, Gladney and Hughes, his sticky coverage was a welcome sight. There are probably a couple games late last year we don't win without him. 

https://twitter.com/PurpleForTheWin/stat...45730?s=20