Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carr released
Getting an elite QB is the shortest path to winning a SB.  There’s a ton of midlevel QBs, and very few
of them win a SB.  There’s a handful of
elite QBs and they win the majority of SBs. 
When we think of QBs of Cousins caliber, we ask ourselves if they can
ever win a SB.  Ryan, close but no.  Carr, No. 
Stafford, Yes.  Cousins, No.  Prescott, No. 
I think you could rephrase the question as, “How many seasons/careers would
it take for the Vikings to surround Cousins with enough talent to win a SB.”  Obviously it could happen any given year, but
is having a midlevel QB a 40 year plan to getting a SB win?

Obviously I don’t think we should shitcan Cousins before
trying to find that elite guy, but I do think we need to make an actual effort
in acquiring an elite QB.  Our current
plan of 1 attempt a decade doesn’t leave much room for missing on your draft
pick and you can see how we end up with about 1 championship game a decade when
everything lines up just right.  Like if
we made a concerted effort to draft a QB, every other year, how long would it
take to actually find one, and how many midlevel QBs could we only pay rookie
contracts along the way?

I think there’s a false narrative out there where people
think the only way to get an elite QB is to draft one with the top handful of
picks.  Elite QBs are frequently found
all over the draft and you just need to be willing to take them, and ready to
develop them.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Riphawkins said:
We can want all we want, be it KC goes or KC stays, but the Wilfs want to be competitive all the time. The tear it down and rebuild hopes by some are just that, hopes.
I don’t believe the Wilf family will ever agree to go all in and suck for a couple of years in hopes it will be ok in year 3. They want to keep fan interest high. 
I can’t say I blame them, and it is their money. If someone doesn’t like that approach, jump on the Bears bandwagon today, because that’s where they are. Or, jump on the Chiefs bandwagon because they are already in a very good position to win it all again.
seemed to work out pretty good for the chiefs didnt it?  they had a good starter, but Reid knew that wasnt going to be good enough and even though the position was already filled he rolled he dice and drafted a QB early, and after 1 year he shipped his starter down the road.  5 years later,  3 SB appearances and 2 rings,  not to mention they put together some damn good defensive talent in that same time period.  I can pretty much promise they wouldnt have done any of that if they had stuck with Alex Smith because he was doing good enough to keep fan interest high.
It did work for them, I think a lot of that has to do with Andy Reid.
It kind of worked for the Packers when they drafted Aaron. Although without as many Super Bowls. I know they hope the Jordan Love pick works the same way.

There is a fear of the unknown, the fear of having another string of shitty QB’s the Vikings had for so many years. The QB carousel kind of worked for Denny Green, because of the system. Kind of like Shanahan and the 49ers, and if they never win a Super Bowl under him, he’ll be no better than Denny was to a lot of fans.I think that’s what makes Harbaugh so enticing to some. He got there quickly, but then, he didn’t stick around to see if his way was sustainable.
Drafting a starting QB in the 23rd slot that can put your team on his shoulders and take you to the Super Bowl is really tough, because the top QBs are gone by then, and specially when he’s a definite maybe coming out of college. That’s why some fans on this board are all in on the tear it down and rebuild it format. I for one am not.
Under the Chiefs scenario, it worked. A lot of times, you end up struggling for years, and years.

All that to say, my point was the Wilfs don’t want to suck for player X and have a total rebuild, so our thoughts are just our thoughts. Everyone can have their imagined way of making the Vikings SB Champions, but the Wilf family is the final answer in it all.

Quote: @medaille said:
Getting an elite QB is the shortest path to winning a SB.  There’s a ton of midlevel QBs, and very few
of them win a SB.  There’s a handful of
elite QBs and they win the majority of SBs. 
When we think of QBs of Cousins caliber, we ask ourselves if they can
ever win a SB.  Ryan, close but no.  Carr, No. 
Stafford, Yes.  Cousins, No.  Prescott, No. 
I think you could rephrase the question as, “How many seasons/careers would
it take for the Vikings to surround Cousins with enough talent to win a SB.”  Obviously it could happen any given year, but
is having a midlevel QB a 40 year plan to getting a SB win?

Obviously I don’t think we should shitcan Cousins before
trying to find that elite guy, but I do think we need to make an actual effort
in acquiring an elite QB.  Our current
plan of 1 attempt a decade doesn’t leave much room for missing on your draft
pick and you can see how we end up with about 1 championship game a decade when
everything lines up just right.  Like if
we made a concerted effort to draft a QB, every other year, how long would it
take to actually find one, and how many midlevel QBs could we only pay rookie
contracts along the way?

I think there’s a false narrative out there where people
think the only way to get an elite QB is to draft one with the top handful of
picks.  Elite QBs are frequently found
all over the draft and you just need to be willing to take them, and ready to
develop them.
I don't disagree that we should be drafting a mid to later rd. QB this year. I also agree that we don't throw out the baby with the bathwater in dumping KC before we know what we're replacing him with.