Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offense is a thing of beauty
I liked what I saw from the offense today:

1. They were running 11-personnel almost 75% of the time.
  2. The offense was not running on nearly every first down.
  3. Very clean game and they were not sabotaging themselves with penalties.
  4. The offense was aggressive and they kept attacking. Turns out getting first downs is a more effective way to run out the clock than running 3 times and kicking.
  5. The offense was a bit of a 2-man show with Jefferson and Cook getting most of the yardage. I think that will balance out as the season goes on, but Thielen and Osborn contributed some key catches and Mattison was looking strong as a change of pace. The depth is there, but Jefferson was getting open so easily that there wasn't much reason for Cousins to go to his 2nd or 3rd read.
  6. The OL is looking stronger this year. Ingram and Bradburry were having some problems in the middle, but I think that Ingram should at least get stronger as the season goes on.
  7. I liked their heavy use of motion and they used it effectively to create favorable matchups for Jefferson. Teams will adjust, but that will create opporunities for other skill players.
  8. The handling of the last possession in the 1st half was clunky. They were playing it safe trying to get yards off of screens and short passes. Used up their timeouts fast and had to punt, though the difference this year is that they did not leave Green Bay with enough time to do anything.
  9. Irv Smith did not look 100% out there, but they did a good job getting the other TEs involved. If Smith can get on track, then he will create mismatches, though I am wondering if it will take him a few games.

If anyone is complaining about anything too vehemently, they need to relax. Game 1, new offense, new defense against a top NFC team and it was never close. Not sure what else a sensible person could hope for. Lots of weapons never even got utilized. Plenty of room for improvement. Other teams can adjust to what the Vikings do as well. Situationally, they were excellent. 7 points given up. A huge 4th down stop at the goal line. 

1st half was beautiful. 2nd half Pack adjusted and the Vikes went into a bit of a shell.  Not full Zimmer but only about 120 total yards in the second half after 260 in the 1st.

Quote: @"Tyr" said:

4. The offense was aggressive and they kept attacking. Turns out getting first downs is a more effective way to run out the clock than running 3 times and kicking.
  5. The offense was a bit of a 2-man show with Jefferson and Cook getting most of the yardage. I think that will balance out as the season goes on, but Thielen and Osborn contributed some key catches and Mattison was looking strong as a change of pace. The depth is there, but Jefferson was getting open so easily that there wasn't much reason for Cousins to go to his 2nd or 3rd read.
  6. The OL is looking stronger this year. Ingram and Bradburry were having some problems in the middle, but I think that Ingram should at least get stronger as the season goes on.
  7. I liked their heavy use of motion and they used it effectively to create favorable matchups for Jefferson. Teams will adjust, but that will create opporunities for other skill players.
  8. The handling of the last possession in the 1st half was clunky. They were playing it safe trying to get yards off of screens and short passes. Used up their timeouts fast and had to punt, though the difference this year is that they did not leave Green Bay with enough time to do anything.
  9. Irv Smith did not look 100% out there, but they did a good job getting the other TEs involved. If Smith can get on track, then he will create mismatches, though I am wondering if it will take him a few games.
Number 5 all day long. People complain that we didn't get Thielen or Irv or KJO involved much. That was just game script. It's not going to be like that in every game.

Vikings moved Jefferson all over the field to put him in favorable situations. We knew we were going to do that. The Packers knew we were going to do that. And still, he was repeatedly wide open. 

Number 6. Impressed with the OL. That was the most time I've seen Cousins have...well ever. Darrisaw was impressive. As was Ezra. I saw Bradbury get beat I think once? But he was not repeatedly absused like he'd been in the past against Clark. Ingram was up and down, but he'll get better quickly. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Tyr" said:

Number 5 all day long. People complain that we didn't get Thielen or Irv or KJO involved much. That was just game script. It's not going to be like that in every game.

Vikings moved Jefferson all over the field to put him in favorable situations. We knew we were going to do that. The Packers knew we were going to do that. And still, he was repeatedly wide open. 

Number 6. Impressed with the OL. That was the most time I've seen Cousins have...well ever. Darrisaw was impressive. As was Ezra. I saw Bradbury get beat I think once? But he was not repeatedly absused like he'd been in the past against Clark. Ingram was up and down, but he'll get better quickly. 
Ingram made rookie mistakes, but that's the worst thing I saw from the O-line yesterday and that's being nitpicky. LOL, love that play from Ezra. Aggressive. He's a big boy.

For a first game with a new coaching staff, I am amazed at how much came together. It just shows the fog lifting off the last regime. Of course there will still be growing pains but this was a pretty awesome start.