Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS Sports Brinson: 'This is going to be a wild draft'
Quote: @TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
We are committed to Cousins for the next two years. Trading down in the hopes of stockpiling additional picks for next year doesn't align with the Wilf's desire to win now or the investment in Cousins. If we were building for the future, we would have traded Cousins and not spend any money in Free Agency. I agree with those that believe we should take the BPA at 12 that can provide an immediate impact. There will be some great players available at our pick and there is no guarantee that we will get an impact player later in the first round where we would most likely end up in a trade down scenario. 
I think it aligns perfectly fine. I don't think it's an either/or situation. I think everyone--the Wilfs, KAM, KOC and all of us, want to win now, but also want to have a plan for the future if Kirk doesn't put certain questions to rest.

There's no reason the Vikings can't add a future pick or two, as well as draft a defensive starter or two in this year's draft. Obviously the opportunity has to be there to do so and we'll just have to see about that. 

But the key fact in this is that they extended Cousins for one year, not four.
Like it or not, Cousins is guaranteed his money for this season and next and his No Trade Clause gives him all the leverage. We are stuck with him as our starter for the next two seasons which is why it doesn't make sense to pass on a quality player at 12 that can be a difference maker this year. There is no reason to believe that Cousins will not be put in a better position to perform by this Coaching Staff vs. the revolving door of Offensive Coordinators with questionable schemes/play calling, and a meddling Head Coach who became a liability at the end of his tenure. 
MB, we can agree to disagree on the path to success. I'm tired of this team trying to accumulate more picks with the trade down strategy and Kwesi said as much at his press conference. I'm betting we won't have a pick this high in the next two seasons and I don't want to gamble on a late first round player. It would be a risky move to assume someone like McDuffie would fall far enough for us to grab him by moving down. Same with the top receivers and edge rushers. To me, the second tier of 1st round talent isn't much different than what you can grab in the 2nd round. 
We will see how things play out tomorrow. If Kwesi pulls off an amazing trade down maneuver that lands us a quality starter and additional picks, I will be the first one to admit my error in judgement and congratulate your draft prowess of predicting Kwesi's 1st round draft strategy. 
Regardless, I'm looking forward to how the story plays out. 

For me, I'm already way past all the Cousin's drama and moved on...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@AGRforever said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
CBS Sports Mocks make me actually laugh out loud. Drake London at 12? I'll drive my ass from Iowa City to Minneapolis just to boo the pick from outside of their facility. Perhaps I should message someone at Barstool Sports and ask to apply as a professional Boo'er so that I get credentials to attend the introduction conference if that pick happened. London may end up being good, but I want nothing to do with him at 12.

Charles Davis's latest has London as the first WR off the board at 10.  Has us picking Trent Mcduffie
https://www.nfl.com/news/charles-davis-2...s-selected

Another one that has us passing on Hamilton.... its like they are just trying to get me pissed off.

All the talk on needing to consider a WR because of ATs age and contract situation are just as pliable when viewing Harry's age and contact.   If Hamilton is there and Gardner is gone...  thats the pick,  all day every day.  Only way I pass on Hamilton is for a kings random to move down.

If he is gone I keep going back to Davis,  I think he can be a lot more than a run stopper,  even if he can just collapse a pocket with a push,  his size and power is to good to pass up.
The only reason I can see these mocks having us pass on Hamilton is that supposedly "you don't draft safety over a corner".  Well, depends on the damn safety.  Joel Klatt did his top 50 players last week and had Hamilton all the way up at 2 behind only Hutchinson. Every other top 50 list I've seen has him fringing the top 5.  If a top 5 guy falls into your lap at 12, you grab him and run away laughing.  

On top of that, the talent depth at safety is much less than CB.  There's round 2and 3 corners that can play decent, but no safeties graded within a mile of Hamilton.

Well, it is finally here. Today will be the day of red hot smoke and other illusions in the form of rumors. Let's see what the new regime does the next 3 days.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Well, it is finally here. Today will be the day of red hot smoke and other illusions in the form of rumors. Let's see what the new regime does the next 3 days.
Today is the day to turn off the noise until the first pick is on the clock,  everything else will be wild speculation and subterfuge. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Today is the day to turn off the noise until the first pick is on the clock,  everything else will be wild speculation and subterfuge. 

Busy day for me which will make the day go quicker.  But the Super Bowl in April is always a good one!!!  Vikings are undefeated!!!

A pick at 12 should have no red flags and minimal risk. Drafting for future potential should be done later in the draft. Minimal risk meaning fully vetted behavioral concerns and health concerns.
If a player like that isn't available at 12, then a move back may be warranted. I hope a stud is available and they get their guy at 12. I don't see them picking this high again for awhile. A rare opportunity to acquire a long term reliable Vikings starter.
Get 'er done!