Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL & OC Improvement
I think there’s a strong likelihood that we haven’t been
getting the most out of the players we’ve had on the OLine.  I don’t think it’s a given that the new coaching
staff is going to automatically get the most out of those guys, given both O’Connell,
Phillips, and Kuper are lower on the experience level and will probably have a
bunch of things going on at the same time, but I like that O’Connell mentioned
that the scheme will be less stressful for the OLine players.  I definitely would lean towards bringing in a
solid vet to just stabilize the whole situation.

I agree with MB and Medaille.  I don't see the Vikes using any day 1 or 2 picks on oline.   I like Davis (who is currently working out with an Oline coach) to take the right guard position -- I think he has a huge chip on his shoulder right now.  I am also with MB watching Hinton -- I could see him being starting center down the line.  I wouldn't want to spend 7 mill plus on a veteran Oline guard.  Olines improve the more they play together and there has been no continuity the past few years.   I think they may let it ride besides drafting a center/guard in the later rounds.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Zimm f'd this team by not giving the youngsters enough in-game reps.  Would really help the evaluation now.

Go for a FA C and G.  Cost, tier, who cares, as long as they can upgrade the positional play to NFL average that would be great.  Give me a solid vet to play inside with the bookends and Cleveland.   This line would be very good with stable anchor play in the middle.

Draft D (DE+CB+LB) and back up RB/TE

I think the Line can improve a lot simply from having a new play caller. How often did opposing defenses know we were in running or passing situations? We were what, last in the league in stuffed runs? With a more balanced offense, hopefully one that keeps opposing defenses honest and guessing, will lead to less pressure on the linemen when they don't have to go against a defense that knows what you're running half the time.

The right coach can fix Udoh.  His issue with penalties is mental, focus.  Players are not machines, they are human.  The "culture of fear" can bring out the worst in people.  Not the best.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler the Vikings have shown high interest in 49ers free agent guard Laken Tomlinson and are expected to make a run at him when free agency hits..
He isn't the only one either. I would expect them to make an investment in the O-line early on in FA. 

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
The right coach can fix Udoh.  His issue with penalties is mental, focus.  Players are not machines, they are human.  The "culture of fear" can bring out the worst in people.  Not the best.
This. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler the Vikings have shown high interest in 49ers free agent guard Laken Tomlinson and are expected to make a run at him when free agency hits..
Laken Tomlinson is one of my favorite examples of just how incredibly incompetent the Lions are. Lions drafted Tomlinson in the 1st round in 2015. He played there TWO seasons and then was traded to the 49ers for a 5th round pick. He's been a solid starter there ever since, making the Pro Bowl in 2021.

Playing in the 49ers wide zone he'd be a good fit for the Vikings, and add much needed experience to that line. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I wouldn't draft an OL at all. It's damn young enough. We need some experience. Hopefully someone with experience in KOC's offense. So I'd trade for or sign a veteran. Nothing bank-breaking, just a Cole-like signing would help.

I'm good with Udoh as a backup swing tackle, Brandel as a utility reserve, and Hinton as a guy to keep developing, but he obviously is fringe. Be nice if Davis could step into one of the open IOL spots.

FWIW, I think Cleveland will be the best offensive lineman on the team in a couple years. 
@ the bold 100%

This team (and KC) would be best served with a veteran IOL. Someone who's gritty and proven. 
Imagine Ryan Jenson at C. Not only for what he brings on the field. Attitude changer.