Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL & OC Improvement
Vikes led the league last year in number of runs stuffed at the LOS with 55. Next closest was the Patriots at 48. There’s a reason we ranked so low on 2nd down rushing. Trade down, pick up another 2nd rounder and let’s fix the OL all while improving the play calling

I was pretty disappointed in the fact that Udoh really struggled and Wyatt Davis couldn't get on the field. We have 3 really good young lineman in Darrisaw, Cleveland, and ONeill. Bradberry is just limited in his ability to anchor and I don't think that's ever going to change. So yes on top of all the defensive personnel we need, the interior offensive line will still need to be addressed at some point as well. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
I was pretty disappointed in the fact that Udoh really struggled and Wyatt Davis couldn't get on the field. We have 3 really good young lineman in Darrisaw, Cleveland, and ONeill. Bradberry is just limited in his ability to anchor and I don't think that's ever going to change. So yes on top of all the defensive personnel we need, the interior offensive line will still need to be addressed at some point as well. 
Honestly, I dont know if Cleveland is that good. He had a lot of ups and downs this year. Is that because of poor consistency at center? Could be. Zimmer hated Wyatt so hopefully he gets a look this year with SkolConnell

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@supafreak84 said:
Honestly, I dont know if Cleveland is that good. He had a lot of ups and downs this year. Is that because of poor consistency at center? Could be. Zimmer hated Wyatt so hopefully he gets a look this year with SkolConnell
I think for a guy playing his first year at a new position he was better then average and will continue to improve and settle in. Udoh and the penalties were a huge problem as well as Bradberry and his usual anchoring problems 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@supafreak84 said:
I think for a guy playing his first year at a new position he was better then average and will continue to improve and settle in. Udoh and the penalties were a huge problem as well as Bradberry and his usual anchoring problems 
He’s played 30 NFL games now and I dont really feel confident. Udoh and Bradbury obviously aint it so hopefully we can move on from those two

I wouldn't draft an OL at all. It's damn young enough. We need some experience. Hopefully someone with experience in KOC's offense. So I'd trade for or sign a veteran. Nothing bank-breaking, just a Cole-like signing would help.

I'm good with Udoh as a backup swing tackle, Brandel as a utility reserve, and Hinton as a guy to keep developing, but he obviously is fringe. Be nice if Davis could step into one of the open IOL spots.

FWIW, I think Cleveland will be the best offensive lineman on the team in a couple years. 

The Vikings seemed to use the practice of converting tackles into guards.  Tackles are usually taller, longer legged and more athletic.  Guards are a little shorter, bigger bodied with shorter legs.  Guards built like this, are able to anchor better, get under the pads of their opponents and neutralize line penetration.  Also, true guards are a lot familiar and experienced at this position in contrast to a converted tackle learning a new position.
Tackles are built to handle the corners of the line and neutralize rushing ends.  They need to be more athletic where a guard relies on more brut force within the offensive line.
Just my theory.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I wouldn't draft an OL at all. It's damn young enough. We need some experience. Hopefully someone with experience in KOC's offense. So I'd trade for or sign a veteran. Nothing bank-breaking, just a Cole-like signing would help.

I'm good with Udoh as a backup swing tackle, Brandel as a utility reserve, and Hinton as a guy to keep developing, but he obviously is fringe. Be nice if Davis could step into one of the open IOL spots.

FWIW, I think Cleveland will be the best offensive lineman on the team in a couple years. 
@ the bold 100%

This team (and KC) would be best served with a veteran IOL. Someone who's gritty and proven. 

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
The Vikings seemed to use the practice of converting tackles into guards.  Tackles are usually taller, longer legged and more athletic.  Guards are a little shorter, bigger bodied with shorter legs.  Guards built like this, are able to anchor better, get under the pads of their opponents and neutralize line penetration.  Also, true guards are a lot familiar and experienced at this position in contrast to a converted tackle learning a new position.
Tackles are built to handle the corners of the line and neutralize rushing ends.  They need to be more athletic where a guard relies on more brut force within the offensive line.
Just my theory.
I think generally you're right, but a lot depends on how you use them. In a wide zone, it's nice to have a guard who can move like this.  

https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/...04934?s=20&t=g1npHSuP1UmKy_FbiTJTrQ

According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler the Vikings have shown high interest in 49ers free agent guard Laken Tomlinson and are expected to make a run at him when free agency hits..