• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panthers to interview Kubiak
Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Lofl!

now, now...

I actually do think the kid has potential. But he most certainly was over-matched this year and he had a lot of tools to play with, even with ISJ out.  

That last name will get him a lot of interviews. 
Actually, loved a lot of his play design. But, as far as play calling, and taking advantage of or exposing a D's weaknesses? Oy.
My lens was his scripted first 15 plays were strong...His game time adjustments? not so much... 
True but we really do not know how much he was handcuffed by the Zimmer "run the ball" mandate.

Considering his pedigree (he grew up listening to and talking to his Pops) and it was his first year calling plays, he is only going to get better.
We actually passed 59% of the time which was league average.  There was nothing out of the ordinary with our pass/run splits on first, second, or third down either.  People make too much of Zimmer and his run the ball comments.  All he wants is a balanced offense so it makes it more difficult for teams to defend us.

Kubiak had some real nice play designs (Green Bay game was a great example of passing/route concepts to take advantage of a young GB secondary).  The problem is he lacked a feel for calling plays.  The offense looked disjointed quite a bit...  I don't know that we can expect him to improve. 

Like MaroonBells always says, playcalling is a feel thing.  Some guys can learn it, but the great play callers have it.  Nothing I saw from Kubiak gives me confidence he has "it".  It's like expecting a young player to automatically improve from his rookie year to his 2nd season.  

Another reason I wanted Zimmer gone a month ago,  I wanted to see what Kubiak could do without Zimmer screaming run it more every game.  I wanted to see what a Patterson run D would look like as well.  Not to mention what a few of the younger guys could do if given an ample amount of reps and some real game  action.   We've all heard how much covid and the cba have neutered practices, well that only makes the learning curve that much steeper for the rookies amd other younger players.  I am not saying they had to tank, but no reason at all not to try some new things in a season where we really weren't going to make any real noise.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Lofl!

now, now...

I actually do think the kid has potential. But he most certainly was over-matched this year and he had a lot of tools to play with, even with ISJ out.  

Actually, loved a lot of his play design. But, as far as play calling, and taking advantage of or exposing a D's weaknesses? Oy.
My lens was his scripted first 15 plays were strong...His game time adjustments? not so much... 
True but we really do not know how much he was handcuffed by the Zimmer "run the ball" mandate.

Considering his pedigree (he grew up listening to and talking to his Pops) and it was his first year calling plays, he is only going to get better.
We actually passed 59% of the time which was league average.  There was nothing out of the ordinary with our pass/run splits on first, second, or third down either.  People make too much of Zimmer and his run the ball comments.  All he wants is a balanced offense so it makes it more difficult for teams to defend us.

Kubiak had some real nice play designs (Green Bay game was a great example of passing/route concepts to take advantage of a young GB secondary).  The problem is he lacked a feel for calling plays.  The offense looked disjointed quite a bit...  I don't know that we can expect him to improve. 

Like MaroonBells always says, playcalling is a feel thing.  Some guys can learn it, but the great play callers have it.  Nothing I saw from Kubiak gives me confidence he has "it".  It's like expecting a young player to automatically improve from his rookie year to his 2nd season.  
Yep, it is an art form.  Kubiak jr reminded me of Flip at times.  

But we can always fall back to blaming Zimmer for his "run the ball" mandate.  lol.  Just like so many fan perceptions, it is easy to make shit up.

I expected more of Kubes Jr. I think I automatically thought his sets, motions and design would be more Shanahan Jr than Kubes SR and that was a mistake on my part.  I think Kubes will improve and be a successful OC , his schemes against opponents looked pretty strong and i thought his playcalling was decent. looks like it will not be here with us. 
We have good ownership, gotta trust them now as everybody on charge is gone.  

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Lofl!

now, now...

I am not going to judge the dude on one season.  Many games this year coming out of the half , Zimmer said he thought they did not run enough.

Jefferson complained about play calling by the end zone too.

The run/pass ratio you mentioned shows the team 11th worse pass percentage inside the opponents 20 yard line.

There is lot more to it than checking the overall stats.