Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If push comes to shove...
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:
Here's my exact thinking where he's concerned:

Brilliant if he can be kept clean...up to a point, Michigan exposed him a bit.

BUT...even improving last season, keeping QBs clean hasn't been a strength, really, for a long time.
he wasnt kept clean against Michigan.
We don't keep QBs clean. We're better, but "good" is still ahead.

Just like Darnold, he could be an amazing redemption story, a "came back from (injuries, instead of bad showings with bad teams)" kind of thing, and I'd be thrilled...but, until then...I'd be watching him the way I watched Teddy's knees after his injury, regardless who he was playing for.

We just saw a guy that was typically the most hit and/or sacked QB in the league leave our team...and he was freakishly able to avoid injury for most of his career. Our o-line, with a kid who's already been on the table a bunch, is worrisome.
All that is not lost on me,   he's my favorite of the QBs this year,  but our OL has me hoping we go Nix,  I would hate to see the kids career ruined because of our most glaring defiency.

I'm not that concerned about that. If the plan is to sit any QB that we draft this year with the intention of starting that QB in 2025, given the amount of Cap $ that we'll have available next offseason we should be able to construct a top level OL to protect him.

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:

BUT...even improving last season, keeping QBs clean hasn't been a strength, really, for a long time.

Just like Darnold, he could be an amazing redemption story, a "came back from (injuries, instead of bad showings with bad teams)" kind of thing, and I'd be thrilled...but, until then...I'd be watching him the way I watched Teddy's knees after his injury, regardless who he was playing for.

We just saw a guy that was typically the most hit and/or sacked QB in the league leave our team...and he was freakishly able to avoid injury for most of his career. Our o-line, with a kid who's already been on the table a bunch, is worrisome.
All that is not lost on me,   he's my favorite of the QBs this year,  but our OL has me hoping we go Nix,  I would hate to see the kids career ruined because of our most glaring defiency.

I'm not that concerned about that. If the plan is to sit any QB that we draft this year with the intention of starting that QB in 2025, given the amount of Cap $ that we'll have available next offseason we should be able to construct a top level OL to protect him.
i would have preferred to have the IOL be the priority this offseason,  as much as I bust Maroons balls at times about his calls for "continuity"... he is right,  OLs typically perform better as a unit after a year or so of playing next to each other.  ( but you have to have the right pieces,  I never saw the growth from Bradbury that some professed and I think a new center was in order several years ago.)

@"Knucklehead" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:

i would have preferred to have the IOL be the priority this offseason,  as much as I bust Maroons balls at times about his calls for "continuity"... he is right,  OLs typically perform better as a unit after a year or so of playing next to each other.  ( but you have to have the right pieces,  I never saw the growth from Bradbury that some professed and I think a new center was in order several years ago.)
This is certainly a line that needs to improve and I don't think we've done anything on that front unless the Vikings consider Brandel to be their starting left guard. I dont think thats a wise decision. Bradbury is still a liability and I don't trust Ed Ingram. Is Risner even on the radar as a return option? I read he just hired Drew Rosenhaus to represent him as he isn't getting many sniffs in free agency. Dan Feeney is just journeyman depth who may or may not make the roster. The line is a shit show and if you throw Darnold behind what we currently have, I would say with all certainty that we will be picking top 5 in 2025. It's on the list of things that need to get better and more talented 

This line was good in pass pro last year. Brandel is not much drop off from Risner, however I have been loving on Taliese Fuaga at 11 if no QB we want there and plug his big ass in at LG.  Doing that we’d probs break even in pass pro but our run game would improve day 1. He’d also be a big hedge for O’Neil aging out down the road.  

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
This line was good in pass pro last year. Brandel is not much drop off from Risner, however I have been loving on Taliese Fuaga at 11 if no QB we want there and plug his big ass in at LG.  
I wasnt all that impressed with the pass pro until they brought in Risner and shipped out Cleveland,  with that said we still had to many complete misses on rushes up the middle either side of Bradbury.  Far to often Kirk or other was under almost immediate pressure through the A gaps and we had nothing to pick it up.  rediculous to see GB double team blocking when you have a LB or S coming right up the gap that he had just vacated.

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
Penix sure looked good in the CFP (and the two games against Oregon), until he got to the Finals, when he fell apart playing Michigan.
However, if you compare his entire body of work for the season, he's not nearly as accurate as Bo Nix.
  • His completion rate for the entire season was @65%. vs Bo Nix at an NCAA record 77.4%
  • His TD/INT ratio was 36/11 vs. Bo Nix at 45/3
  • He rushed for 8 yards TOTAL vs. Bo Nix at 234 yards (with a 4.3 Avg YPC)...but he rushed for 510 yards the season prior, a 6.8 YPC avg!
  • Penix had 2 fumbles vs. Bo Nix had zero fumbles the last two seasons at Oregon.
  • Penix started 21 games at Indiana over a 4 year period, never more than 7 games in a season due to injuries (with a 59.4% completion rate at IU)
  • By comparison, Bo Nix is a bit of an ironman, with his NCAA record 61 games started.
  • Penix was sacked 5x last season, 8x the year before.  Bo Nix was sacked 5 times each of the past two years.  
Pundits talk about Penix's long yardage dimes and poo-poo the short passing Oregon game.  

One of KOC's oft-repeated mantras is taking care of the football.  He's stated that he is looking for passing accuracy and not turning the ball over (yeah, things do happen), but if I am looking at the body of work with those two driving characteristics, I think Bo Nix gets the priority grade ahead of Penix.

I am hearing from my Bronco fan friends that they are hoping Nix falls to them at #12.  
Bo Nix averaged maybe 6 yards a throw. His accuracy is an absolute farce

Quote: @"CFIAvike" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
Penix sure looked good in the CFP (and the two games against Oregon), until he got to the Finals, when he fell apart playing Michigan.
However, if you compare his entire body of work for the season, he's not nearly as accurate as Bo Nix.
  • His completion rate for the entire season was @65%. vs Bo Nix at an NCAA record 77.4%
  • He rushed for 8 yards TOTAL vs. Bo Nix at 234 yards (with a 4.3 Avg YPC)...but he rushed for 510 yards the season prior, a 6.8 YPC avg!
  • Penix had 2 fumbles vs. Bo Nix had zero fumbles the last two seasons at Oregon.
  • Penix started 21 games at Indiana over a 4 year period, never more than 7 games in a season due to injuries (with a 59.4% completion rate at IU)
  • By comparison, Bo Nix is a bit of an ironman, with his NCAA record 61 games started.
  • Penix was sacked 5x last season, 8x the year before.  Bo Nix was sacked 5 times each of the past two years.  
Pundits talk about Penix's long yardage dimes and poo-poo the short passing Oregon game.  

One of KOC's oft-repeated mantras is taking care of the football.  He's stated that he is looking for passing accuracy and not turning the ball over (yeah, things do happen), but if I am looking at the body of work with those two driving characteristics, I think Bo Nix gets the priority grade ahead of Penix.

I am hearing from my Bronco fan friends that they are hoping Nix falls to them at #12.  
actually he was just short of 10 yards per completion ( basically a first down per completion), but apparently it worked as their offense hung a lot of points on a lot of teams ( albeit PAC12 teams for the most part) and their only 2 loses last season were to the eventual national runner up).   would it be better if his completion % was lower,  if he had more picks, a lower scoring offense, and played for a team with more loses?   its not like he was checking down and going 3 and out, they still put up huge points per game averaging over 44 per contest last season.  Caleb Williams is largely considered the favorite in the draft,  played many of the same teams, sure he averaged about 4 yards more per pass attempt,  but his stats are not any better and played for a team lost 5 of their last 6 games, and would have been 6 of 6 except for a 1 point squeaker against Cal,  I think the sack numbers combined with the lack of picks, for Nix are likely the most impressive numbers,  he took care of the ball and didnt take sacks while still maintaining a top tier offense.

Imagine what Nix could have done in an offense with more weapons or plays to open up more opportunities down field?

I like others too,  but I think Nix would likely be the safest and best fit for KOCs offense,  he would be able to play year 1 unlike JJM who needs a year or so most likely,  he has shown many of the same traits that we saw from Cousins with the added ability to use his legs to extend plays.  He may not be as exciting as Daniels,  have the size of Maye,  or the ceiling of a few of the others mentioned,  but how many draft picks ever come close to their projected ceilings?  I wouldnt be upset at all with Nix at 11.

I'm going to predict we don't take Bo Nix, no matter how many ironclad Bo Nix warriors get minted around here.

:p 

@"CFIAvike" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:

actually he was just short of 10 yards per completion ( basically a first down per completion), but apparently it worked as their offense hung a lot of points on a lot of teams ( albeit PAC12 teams for the most part) and their only 2 loses last season were to the eventual national runner up).   would it be better if his completion % was lower,  if he had more picks, a lower scoring offense, and played for a team with more loses?   its not like he was checking down and going 3 and out, they still put up huge points per game averaging over 44 per contest last season.  Caleb Williams is largely considered the favorite in the draft,  played many of the same teams, sure he averaged about 4 yards more per pass attempt,  but his stats are not any better and played for a team lost 5 of their last 6 games, and would have been 6 of 6 except for a 1 point squeaker against Cal,  I think the sack numbers combined with the lack of picks, for Nix are likely the most impressive numbers,  he took care of the ball and didnt take sacks while still maintaining a top tier offense.

Imagine what Nix could have done in an offense with more weapons or plays to open up more opportunities down field?

I like others too,  but I think Nix would likely be the safest and best fit for KOCs offense,  he would be able to play year 1 unlike JJM who needs a year or so most likely,  he has shown many of the same traits that we saw from Cousins with the added ability to use his legs to extend plays.  He may not be as exciting as Daniels,  have the size of Maye,  or the ceiling of a few of the others mentioned,  but how many draft picks ever come close to their projected ceilings?  I wouldnt be upset at all with Nix at 11.
Sorry I meant yards per attempt. Which was 6.7

Maye 8.5
JJM 9.1
Daniels 11.7
Penix 9.2

As pissed as I’ll be if we take Penix, taking Nix might be unforgivable