Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ Mock 3.0
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
Sewell is the only player in this draft I would move up for. And 9 is about the highest I'd go. But here's the deal: You have to weigh that cost against the cost of what it would take to trade for Orlando Brown Jr. 

Moving from 14 to 9 would cost us a 3rd and a 4th. Guessing a Junior trade would cost moving from 14 to 27, a 3rd and let's say a '22 2nd rounder. So, cheaper to get Sewell, but Junior offers something Sewell can't. Security. He's proven. 24 years old and already been to 2 Pro Bowls. And as good as Sewell is, he could always be a bust. It happens. Greg Robinson, Matt Kalil, Jason Smith. All went higher than Sewell will go. 

And when you consider our luck with drafting OL's, it might be time to pay up for the sure thing. Give me Brown and I'll use 27 on the best Edge. Offensive and defensive lines done. Boom. 

All valid points on Sewell.  The converse of that is that you get 5 years of cheaper salary wit Sewell and that gets us most of the way through the Kirk Cousins era. 
Yep. That is a big factor as well. 
I think it's probably the biggest issue...otoh, you are going to have some big salary off the books after the next 2 seasons as well.

Smith, AT, Barr...

We're going to need another WR to pair with Jet in the foreseeable future....

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Sewell is the only player in this draft I would move up for. And 9 is about the highest I'd go. But here's the deal: You have to weigh that cost against the cost of what it would take to trade for Orlando Brown Jr. 

Moving from 14 to 9 would cost us a 3rd and a 4th. Guessing a Junior trade would cost moving from 14 to 27, a 3rd and let's say a '22 2nd rounder. So, cheaper to get Sewell, but Junior offers something Sewell can't. Security. He's proven. 24 years old and already been to 2 Pro Bowls. And as good as Sewell is, he could always be a bust. It happens. Greg Robinson, Matt Kalil, Jason Smith. All went higher than Sewell will go. 

And when you consider our luck with drafting OL's, it might be time to pay up for the sure thing. Give me Brown and I'll use 27 on the best Edge. Offensive and defensive lines done. Boom. 
I typed all this out yesterday and got to thinking about the 5 years of cheap contract and deleted it.  I love the idea of getting Brown and still having a first rounder to spend on other glaring areas of need,  but that difference in the contracts brought me back to think its better to use those draft picks on cheap talent that allows us to overspend on other areas in FA than to burn draft capital and still end up paying high salaries.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

I typed all this out yesterday and got to thinking about the 5 years of cheap contract and deleted it.  I love the idea of getting Brown and still having a first rounder to spend on other glaring areas of need,  but that difference in the contracts brought me back to think its better to use those draft picks on cheap talent that allows us to overspend on other areas in FA than to burn draft capital and still end up paying high salaries.
The Rams disagree with your line of thinking...

But it's one of those deals where it all depends on your philosophy and how well you do hitting on your remaining draft picks and FAs.

As we've seen, there is no right or wrong way to build a team.  You need a good QB and to get lucky filling out the rest of your roster with top talent under the constraints of a salary cap.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

The Rams disagree with your line of thinking...

But it's one of those deals where it all depends on your philosophy and how well you do hitting on your remaining draft picks and FAs.

As we've seen, there is no right or wrong way to build a team.  You need a good QB and to get lucky filling out the rest of your roster with top talent under the constraints of a salary cap.
Orrrrrrrrrrr you can cheat your way to a Super Bowl, cough Saints cough

Its crazy how many QBs taken in the first 2 rounds have either flamed out or just haven't lived up to any expectations. ITS CRAZY. Such a crapshoot.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Its crazy how many QBs taken in the first 2 rounds have either flamed out or just haven't lived up to any expectations. ITS CRAZY. Such a crapshoot.
Closer to trying to hit the lottery. I'll take my chances with a hard six.

I'm taking AVT over Phillips. Too many question marks on Phillips durability to stay healthy. Great talent, but he could be Mike Hughes 2.0. I will pass but who knows what Spielman and Zimmer will do if it plays out this way.