Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today is the BIG DAY
Quote: @"Viking1987" said:
nfl may also expand playoffs  because  of the covid

If a league is canceling games due to sick players, how can they expect to have additional games for playoffs? Missing any playoff games will blow the bracket apart.
I bet the NFL is getting ready to announce some kind of bubble for the playoffs. Harder than NBA or NHL given the large rosters, but they could also build it up as a massive event.

and...nothing.  I really havent heard much from any teams making moves.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I haven't seen any big names either. Honestly, I bet it's because of the cap next year

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I haven't seen any big names either. Honestly, I bet it's because of the cap next year
100 percent agree.  Teams have no clue what is going to happen with the cap and fans in the stands so they stand pat.

This is how hot and heavy the nfl action was today...

[Image: 2be6faa57dd3a781e6bb5725338f5d38dbd3b83e...v2_uhq.jpg]

LOSERS[Image: 8439.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&background...rent=false]Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay PackersThe NFL rumor mill was abuzz all day about the possibility of the Packers landing Houston Texans receiver Will Fuller -- or really, any receiver. In the end, the Packers didn't want to pay Houston's price, so they remain where they've been since last year at the receiver position.
Those who were railing against the Packers for taking Rodgers' successor in the first round of a receiver-rich draft in April have free ammunition for their arguments. But Rodgers is a career Packer, and he knows how the organization operates. They draft and develop. They don't usually spend big money to sign guys and they very rarely spend valuable draft picks to acquire guys in trades. They also make the playoffs almost every year. Packers gonna Packer.
The idea of them giving up a high pick for Fuller, who would eat up almost all of their 2020 cap space and prevent them from applying it to 2021, always felt far-fetched.
[Image: hou.png&h=110&w=110]Houston TexansThe flip side of the Rodgers item here is that the Texans really could have improved with a deal or two. They were valuing their players highly, which is fair. Fuller is a 2016 first-round pick who's having an excellent year and shouldn't be given away. But between him, Kenny Stills, the perpetually tradable Brandin Cooks and a widespread demand for receiver help around the league, it feels as if Houston should have been able to make some deal.
As a result of previous trades, the Texans don't have a pick in the first or second rounds of the 2021 NFL draft. They have an extra fourth and an extra sixth, but they are going to need some offseason help and could have used more draft capital.
[Image: 14942.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun...rent=false]Stephon Gilmore, CB, New England PatriotsBy all accounts, Gilmore likes it fine in New England and wasn't eager to be traded. But he is also going to want (and definitely deserves) a new contract at some point soon. He's scheduled to make just $7 million next year, which is the final year of his Patriots deal.
Had New England traded him to a team willing to give him that extension, Gilmore could have been the pickup of the deadline for some team. Now he has to slug out this rebuilding year in Foxborough and hope the Patriots do right by him down the road -- either with an extension or an offseason trade.
[Image: 4040616.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro...rent=false]Dwayne Haskins, QB, Washington Football TeamWashington's second-year quarterback needs to be with a team that believes in him and is willing to put in the work to develop him. Basically, he needs to be in the situation in which the equally erratic Daniel Jones finds himself with the New York Giants. He doesn't have that in Washington and would have benefited from a change of scenery
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3025...on-rodgers

WINNERS
Avery Williamson, LB, Pittsburgh SteelersThis dude just picked up 15 games in the standings, after being traded from the 0-8 New York Jets to the 7-0 Steelers, who were looking for linebacker depth and liked Williamson's veteran pedigree.
You can make the case that anybody who got dealt away by the Jets -- Williamson, outside linebacker Jordan Willis, nose tackle Steve McLendon -- came away winners, since they're all going to have more of a chance to compete with their new teams than they would have with the Jets. But none of those other guys ended up on undefeated teams.
Williamson is the biggest deadline winner, as his situation is the most improved of any player or team.
[Image: bal.png&h=110&w=110]Baltimore RavensThe Ravens jumped the deadline last week and acquired pass-rusher Yannick Ngakoue from the Minnesota Vikings just a couple of months after the Vikings acquired him from the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Minnesota hasn't had the season it expected to have and decided to recoup something for Ngakoue before he left as a free agent. The Ravens were happy to send a 2021 third-round pick and a 2022 fifth-rounder for a still-young edge rusher who makes their defense even more fearsome for the stretch run and could factor into their long-term plans as well.
[Image: sea.png&h=110&w=110]Seattle SeahawksCarlos Dunlap isn't a perfect solution to Seattle's pass-rushing woes, but no team is going to get Khalil Mack at the trade deadline. Acquisitions in early November have to be of the warts-and-all variety, and the former Cincinnati Bengals veteran is at least someone who might be able to help.
Plus, in sending back spare offensive lineman B.J. Finney, Seattle was able to offset some of Dunlap's salary and keep its salary cap impact to a minimum
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3025...on-rodgers