Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalvin Cook's emergence means Vikings' era of one-dimensional backs is over
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Bezerker88" said:
Yeah Cooks 7.5 yards a catch is waaaaay better than Peterson's 8.1 career average... 

Cook has potential but let's not over hype him until he actually does something.  He missed a block on one of the two sacks and made another rookie mistake in reading his blocker that lead to a holding call.  The kid could light it up and I hope he does... I know people want to forget and/or somehow vilify Peterson for his "handcuffing" this offense... but numbers are numbers and Peterson produced for this team during full seasons when he was thrown to, let's not pretend he didn't.  

I hope Cook can be a scoring threat inside the twenty out of the backfield, but once he does, it will be up to the coaches and QBs to not fall into a predictable habits.  We need a huge amount of help inside the 30, receivers need to get open, fight for the ball and the Qb needs to find them. 
I don't see villification in the comments, I see wanting something different and maybe better from the position.  you kind of did the same you self when prefacing your comments with reference to AD not being around for full seasons,  and not being thrown to often 

If he was able to produce so well in the passing game why was he used so little in it?  Why was the offense able make screens work when other backs were in the game,  but with AD they rarely gained yards if they were even completed...usually sniffed out.  

AD was as exciting as a RB could be as a ball carrier early in his career,  but his lack of attention spent on improving the other areas of the RB positions left some of us fans wanting more from the position.  With the league shift to a passing game it's pretty clear that just carrying the ball isn't enough out of a RB for a good team with playoff hopes.  The hopes are that DC will be that type of back.  It's the preseason,  all we have I'd hype and hope.  Let's enjoy it a bit before we have to face reality.
Peterson improved his catch percentage while here, so I'm not understanding claims to how he didn't work on it.  If I remember correctly Peterson led the team in catch percentage yearly, even  when the last "versatile back" that was suppose to be "something special" came here.  2016 Mckinnon was targeted just as often as 2015 Peterson was... so I'd say there was a scheme/game plan problem as to why the Vikings were not using their backs as receivers more.  IMO The Vikings went away from using that position as a threat to using it as a safety value.  Hopefully they get back to screens, but they need linemen that are good enough/athletic enough to do so.  Peterson was the Viking offense for so long the defense keyed on him.  8, 9 or 10 defenders watched him so of course he was stopped... that's on the coaches being too predictable and not using other threats/being creative.  Almost everyone knew who was getting the ball, rarely does that work out no matter who it is.  If they use Cook the same way, it will fail based on what I've seen.  They need to spread the ball around no matter the down or situation. 

Heaping praise (Cook OROY articles, Cook is something special, Cook emerges threads) before he took an NFL snap and from on what I saw Thursday night is just a bit too much... IMO.  I am also sure that the 5-0 and 3-8 season last year has tempered my excitement on this year.  Especially since I didn't see much change in the game plans when the first stringers were on the field Thursday.  I hope to see more attacks downfield like when the 2nd stringers tried.  I hope that is our true offensive scheme.  If we keep the same mindset Cook will struggle as any back would, especially if the Vikings telegraph what they are going to do.  Open up the passing game, slants, TE seams, deep balls and the running lanes will be less congested.  Linemen that can pass block are needed.  It will be decided in the trenches on how many wins this team ends up with... not a RB.  If Peterson did anything wrong... he was too damn good at running the ball that he made the coaches think our line was decent to Pro Bowl level.  I'll blame him for that without batting an eye.

I'll probably be done as I don't like being down on a player and it almost sounds like I want Cook to fail.  I don't.  I hope he breaks the single game yardage and the season yardage records.  But most of all.... I hope he gets to hold a Super Bowl trophy while wearing the purple and gold, beating the Taints twice to do so.