Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalvin Cook's emergence means Vikings' era of one-dimensional backs is over
Dalvin Cook's emergence means Vikings' era of one-dimensional backs is overThe Vikings' plan to use Dalvin Cook in myriad ways was evident against the Bills. Of the 43 yards Dalvin Cook gained in the Vikings’ first preseason game against the Buffalo Bills on Thursday, 30 of them came on receptions.
Of the five times Cook carried the ball, four of them were out of the shotgun or pistol formation.
It’s a new era for Vikings running backs, indeed.
The team’s plan for Cook is not fully formed yet, certainly not after one preseason game that saw the rookie celebrate his 22nd birthday with a modest 18 snaps — which included nine touches, and yes, a gaffe in pass protection. But with Latavius Murray and Jerick McKinnon both sidelined with injuries for the Vikings’ first preseason game, the team made it clear once again that it will not be shy with a rookie running back.
The days of Adrian Peterson are over, and the Vikings have spent little time lamenting the future Hall of Famer’s departure, at least not in their offensive game-planning sessions...

http://www.startribune.com/dalvin-cook-s...439918543/

I'm really JACKED to see what Cook does this season...  his style is similar to Devonta Freeman with better speed.  It's going to be strange watching our lead RB have 3-5 receptions per game.

It's gonna be good to get back to a more versatile back for the offense 

Be nice to have the opposing D not be able to tell run or pass just by which RB is on the field.

It will be nice to finally structure an offense to the QB rather than a RB.  Teddy spent 2 years learning to like being under center to accommodate AP.  At least Sam and maybe Teddy at some point again will have full versatility to run what works best for the team not one RB.

I'm just looking forward to having the bell cow back be able to execute a successful screen pass.

Can't say for sure it was him ,  but those never worked with AD in the game.

I like this kid's attitude and potential, but is anyone else feeling like the hype is coming too fast for Cook? 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I like this kid's attitude and potential, but is anyone else feeling like the hype is coming too fast for Cook? 
Maybe,

Certainly have to let it play out some and LM is going to contribute and contribute a lot too I'll bet.

But it's cool to get excited about something besides the D. I don't get giddy much anymore, but I am for Dalvin. 

Yeah Cooks 7.5 yards a catch is waaaaay better than Peterson's 8.1 career average... 

Cook has potential but let's not over hype him until he actually does something.  He missed a block on one of the two sacks and made another rookie mistake in reading his blocker that lead to a holding call.  The kid could light it up and I hope he does... I know people want to forget and/or somehow vilify Peterson for his "handcuffing" this offense... but numbers are numbers and Peterson produced for this team during full seasons when he was thrown to, let's not pretend he didn't.  

I hope Cook can be a scoring threat inside the twenty out of the backfield, but once he does, it will be up to the coaches and QBs to not fall into a predictable habits.  We need a huge amount of help inside the 30, receivers need to get open, fight for the ball and the Qb needs to find them. 

Quote: @"Bezerker88" said:
Yeah Cooks 7.5 yards a catch is waaaaay better than Peterson's 8.1 career average... 

Cook has potential but let's not over hype him until he actually does something.  He missed a block on one of the two sacks and made another rookie mistake in reading his blocker that lead to a holding call.  The kid could light it up and I hope he does... I know people want to forget and/or somehow vilify Peterson for his "handcuffing" this offense... but numbers are numbers and Peterson produced for this team during full seasons when he was thrown to, let's not pretend he didn't.  

I hope Cook can be a scoring threat inside the twenty out of the backfield, but once he does, it will be up to the coaches and QBs to not fall into a predictable habits.  We need a huge amount of help inside the 30, receivers need to get open, fight for the ball and the Qb needs to find them. 
I don't see villification in the comments, I see wanting something different and maybe better from the position.  you kind of did the same you self when prefacing your comments with reference to AD not being around for full seasons,  and not being thrown to often 

If he was able to produce so well in the passing game why was he used so little in it?  Why was the offense able make screens work when other backs were in the game,  but with AD they rarely gained yards if they were even completed...usually sniffed out.  

AD was as exciting as a RB could be as a ball carrier early in his career,  but his lack of attention spent on improving the other areas of the RB positions left some of us fans wanting more from the position.  With the league shift to a passing game it's pretty clear that just carrying the ball isn't enough out of a RB for a good team with playoff hopes.  The hopes are that DC will be that type of back.  It's the preseason,  all we have I'd hype and hope.  Let's enjoy it a bit before we have to face reality.