Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to find a solution for Elflein
Quote: @greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
We are seeing now why Dozier is a career backup. Kline, get back soon. Dru Samia must be raw as sushi still.
Kline has been a pleasant surprise for sure.
we got to remember,  those in the know predicted that Kline would be a good signing for us despite his poor showing last year in TN (?).  I dont remember who it was that pointed out they had just switched from a ZBS to a man scheme and that he had done very well in the ZBS despite his struggles in man.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
IIRC on the one glaring bad play it looked like Elf was expecting more than just a quick chip from Bradbury,  Elf looked outside and then was sliding to pick up the DT but Bradbury had already let him go,  I dont think I have enough information on that one to say who screwed up.  Just like on a later play when Dozier blocked down and ONeill blocked out and nobody accounted for Cox... Fletcher freaking Cox went unaccounted for.   Elf is the weak link currently,  but we know he has the game to play with these guys,  his rookie year was no mirage,  he just needs to get back to where he was only this time from the OG spot.

On the sack, I believe Bradbury was responsible for helping Dozier with Cox (which is a reasonable assignment).  Graham made Elflien look silly on that play.   But overall, I thought the interior line held up well.  PFF wrote this: "Fletcher Cox dominated fill-in Minnesota lineman Dakota Dozier all day long..."  But I didn't see that at all (Cox had 5 total tackles and only one TFL) and was surprised at how Cox didn't really impact the game considering "he felt as healthy as he felt in a long time."  I do expect Elflien to whiff on one block a game -- just an expectation I have for him.

I look at the issues this interior line has  and count my blessings, we don't have Remmers or Compton anymore. It's rare to have a rookie lineman, such as Bradbury, play great his first year. And there is hope that Elflien will still develop into a good guard.
I'm much happier with this group and delighted with the new scheme.

Kline started a bunch of games for the Patriots. Sure, they have great O-Line coaching and the GOAT at QB but you don't get consistent starts for Belicheat if you're no good.

And to Jargomcfargo's point, even Dozier has looked better than Compton/Remmers. 

Maybe Bradbury is grading out so bad because he is having to cover for Elf's poor play? It's hard for anyone to know the exact blocking assignment on every play just by watching film.

The two guys on that line that I see all over the field are Bradbury and O'Neill, especially in the run game. They are the two best lineman we have at operating in space. 

Pass protection on the interior will continue to be our downfall, especially when we go against the Bears, Packers, Saints, Rams, 49ers, Seattle, etc. Anyone that has a stout front 7 in the NFC with a good pass rush is going to give us matchup problems when the games really start to matter during the chase for a playoff spot. I just don't think Elf is going to get any better than what we have seen out of him the past two seasons. 

Quote: @TBro said:
Maybe Bradbury is grading out so bad because he is having to cover for Elf's poor play? It's hard for anyone to know the exact blocking assignment on every play just by watching film.

The two guys on that line that I see all over the field are Bradbury and O'Neill, especially in the run game. They are the two best lineman we have at operating in space. 

Pass protection on the interior will continue to be our downfall, especially when we go against the Bears, Packers, Saints, Rams, 49ers, Seattle, etc. Anyone that has a stout front 7 in the NFC with a good pass rush is going to give us matchup problems when the games really start to matter during the chase for a playoff spot. I just don't think Elf is going to get any better than what we have seen out of him the past two seasons. 
Bradbury has actually graded out well his last 2 games according to PFF.com in his pass blocking: best 2 games yet. Improving.